• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 Valving specs for stutter bumps please!

Shane

Expert
Website
www.fa.ml.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 YAMAHA VIPER LTX SE
2015 Ski-Doo 800 XRS Renegade
2012 Ski-Doo 600 ace
2010 Ski-Doo 600 e-tec GTX Limited
2007 Polaris Dragon 120
Hi Guys! I am trying to find out what the valving specs are for the ZX2 to improve ride compliance in the stutters. I have a 2007 ATTAK with the updated softer springs and the big bump ability is great. I would REALLY like to improve the stutter bump ability of this skid. It is just to choppy in the smaller stuff. Bruce Schrader was not really sure of the specs to achieve this. He is a great guy and I have used him in the past for other stuff and would like to use him again. I weigh 225 - 230 in street clothes and love the big bump absorbtion but the stutters rattle my fillings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need two new forward inside bogie wheels. Do I need to get these through AD Boivin or is there a Ski-Doo or other part that fits?

Thanks guys!
Shane ;)!

Quick search this is from Stain:

Well I have been riding my current valving set up for 500 miles and I like what I have. The stutter bump issue is now comparable to a mono.

stock valve set up
compression
3---15x.203
6---30x.203
piston
rebound
3---26x.203
7---26x.152
1---15x.114

My set up
compression
3---15x.203
4---30x.203
piston
rebound
2---30x.203
1---1.094x.008
1---.994x.010
3---26x.203
7---26x.152
1---.895x.010
1---15x.114

The underlined stacks are in standard measurements as my calipers don't measure metric numbers very well. This works for me but I don't know if I would remove the compression stacks again. I will ride it like this as
I now am able to get my springs off the lowest settings without fear of being bucked off the seat. It could actually stand to have the rebound slowed down even more but it's pretty close right now

Thank you very much. How do I go about purchasing these shims and installing them? Thanks again.

Shane

Suggest you guys discuss a progressive valve stack with Bruce if he's where you plan on going. A single stage, or better yet a 2 stage. The progressive stack simply inserts a thin, smaller OD shim (or 2) behind the first or second shim (closest to the piston) forming a space for the first shim(s) to fold, allowing it (them) to bend back a limited amount (determined by the size and thickness of the shims you're adding) for small high speed hits (like stutter bumps) without affecting the rest of the valving (what you have going on for the bigger hits). Does that make any sense?

In any case, it works. I'm pretty sure he'll confirm that. He'll very likely have his own ideas of what size/thickness shims to use. That's why I'm not going to get into specifics.

The 2 compression stacks you show are going to be more of the all or nothing type. It'll take a big hit to force them to release, but when they do, it'll happen all at once. One just does it a little easier than the other. There's nothing in either of these stack to allow for shallow high speed hits. A setup that allows the stack to collapse a section at a time is a much better plan in my experience - for trail anyway.

The custom rebound stack shown has a progressive setup illustrated pretty wel there. As he mentions the custom piece is shown in inches (1---1.094x.008 1---.994x.010 ) these are similarly sized to what I might use in a compresion stack to do the progressive thng I was talking about above?? I've never tried a progressive rebound stack. FWIW

Thanks ahicks. I spoke with Stain last night and he is a really good guy. Thanks for validating his post. He weighs in at 205 - 210 in street clothes where I am 225 - 230. Any thoughts on slight modifications to the above to compensate for my weight?

Shane

Just reviving this post to let everyone know that I had my shocks serviced and revalved using the specs from Stain. My shock service guy told me that my stock valving was not the same as what Stain had. Mine had everything the same except for stock compression had (7) of the 30 x .203 instead of the six like Stain had. So my guy removed 2 of them and I now have 5. Everything else he did the same as Stain's specs. I don't Know why mine were different, all I can say is I ordered my skid when I first read about them because I was not happy with the ride quality of stock 05 Vector. I was very happy with the ZX2 from the first ride. After over 4000 miles it was due for shock service, that is why I decided to try the revalve. Once we get some snow I will let everyone know what the results are.

Where can I send out my ZX shocks to be revalved other than AD Boivin

Anybody that does shock rebuilds should be capable of revalving these shocks. There was a rebuild manual posted in this section which has all the pressures and procedures with pictures from AD Boivan in pdf format. Just give your guy a copy of this and the valve specs and you should be in business.

I emailed Bruce and hope to send them out to him. Thanks to the guys whom have already done some of the revalve R&D. You didn't have to share your info, but you did. Thank you. I did get a reply back from AD and all they offered to do was replace the oil with synthetic for $75???

Back