• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 vs well set up Mono

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
Hi guys,

You know I'm a ZX2 fan but my new apex GT (well new to me its used with 2500 miles) has the EC mono. I have never had a mono so it was a no brainer to replace my no action in my RX with the ZX2 and I LOVE that suspension, but now the mono seems like a great riding skid. The question for me comes to money (could sell the ZX2 and have trip money) and not having to 'butcher' a nice clean sled (butcher is a harsh word but maybe for trading down the road, etc its all stock).

So I would like it straight from guys that had the mono and then went to the ZX2.

Durability issues aside on the mono did it ride better, worse, the same as the ZX2 in stutters, big bumps (12"+), jumps, and handling.

Thanks!

:yam:

I have many miles on the Mono under my Apex would say that the Mono is a much smoother riding suspension than the ZX-2 in all conditions. The mono is so smooth, it takes the bumps away, I also had mine revalved by pioneer performance and big bump capabitlity was greatly improved. It is defiantly better than the ZX-2 in the small bumps and the medium bumps. If you are dealing with big bumps that are stutter bumps, say 1 to 2+ footers the Mono is better than the ZX-2 because you need to slow down and the suspesion soaks them up so good.. However if you are running 50+ mph down a trail and run into 2 footer out of nowhere, the Mono will bottom and the ZX-2 would just soak it up.

Jumping the Mono just does not work. It will bottom out easily.

I feel like the mono is the better suspension in 90% of all trail and riding conditions because it is so much smoother. But the other 10% the ZX-2 will just do things the Mono can't like pound the real big bumps. I personally have decided to run as stiff a suspension as possible and get more beat up in the smaller bumps so that when the real big bumps come along I can play in those with a smile on my face. However I am real young and can an all day stutter bump pounding and still be good to go the next day.

To sum it up a bit, if just trail riding-go with the mono, it is so smooth and comfortable compared to the ZX-2 it will put a smile on your face. However if you like to ride hard and aggresive say 70% of the time, and occasonaly like to get off trail and pound some bumps and jumps go ZX-2.

The ZX-2 is a better suspension for those who like to play in the bumps, if the bumps, the Mono is better those who find the bumps to be a pesky nusiance on the trail.

Hard to explain, but if you got any questions let me know. I have many miles on both suspension with the Apex. It is hard to compare both suspension because there are so many different type of conditions where one is better than the other.

Also I know you said you are looking for info on durabilty but long term durabilty will easily go to the ZX-2. But I also had 6800 miles on my mono with not many problems however i did have to slow down many times to not bottom, if I pounded right threw those holes and bumps I am sure I would of broke more.

Ask some more questions, I want to answer them!!! This talking about snowmobiling is getting me pumped for next year!!

That is a good review Tkuss. I really hated moguled out trails, they just piss me off, however once i had the ZX2 I found myself wanting them because everyone else would be tired and worn out and I would jsut fly through them with ease. Problem is I take trips to ride and most of the riding is done in prestine conditions in NE wisconsin (cable) and the UP wend-sat, you have been there I'm sure and no what its like. The straight long trails of the UP are nice when in good shape but I found myself hating them when they get stuttered up with little bumps and no matter how fast i would go the sled would just bounce over them. All the guys I ride with are smooth trail only so usually we just park the sleds saturday night and party at the lodge and rarely will we ride on the rough beat up trails from all the weekend warriors.

So I'm thinking while I love the Zx2 when I get into the nasty stuff, I honestly am not in the nasty stuff very much to justify it. Meanwhile I suffer in the stutters on a Friday night in the UP.

I do bang ditches in Iowa when we have snow and can get into some huge jumps where I bottomed out even the ZX2. But I barely get 200 miles a year in Iowa the other 2000 come from Wi, and UP

I would like to get more into off trail riding though and figure the mono would be no different then the ZX2, what are your thoughts off trail?

Yea off trail is no difference between the two at least in my opinion. Bigger lugs and longer tracks are the way to improve off trail performance.

To talk about the difference between the two even more, if the trails were perfectly smooth I would choose the ZX-2, because there are no stutters around but there is still the g-outs at the bottom of the hills and such because the groomer can't fill those in with snow all the time.

Once trail traffic increases and the bumps start showing up, the Monoshock shines and is what I would want. It does such a good job erasing the bumps.

When I had my mono everybody who rode my sled complimented on how smooth it rides and how you don't even feel the bumps. Now when they ride my sled they don't say much because it is much stiffer which they might not like, but I like it because the ZX-2 maybe stiff in the stutters but can still take the stutters. Meanwhile the mono takes the stutters awesome but cannot deal with the real big bumps and jumps that the ZX-2 can.

I myself would take the ZX-2 over the mono, but I think you should try the Mono. It is so smooth and with the big boy spring and a revalve it stays smooth but becomes pretty hard to bottom on trail bumps.

Thanks I will give the mono a try and see how I like it. It has a lot of extras on the skid with teh heavier spring, anti rub wheels, new old style idlers with replaceable bearings, new hyfax, etc. I'll beat on it for a few trips and see how it handles it. If I find I ride to hard for it I will swap in the zx2. Debating ona carver revalve first on the EC mono.

Not so much, It defiantly made it feel a bit lighter because I could pound the sled harder and not bottom making it feel lighter. But I did not experience nearly as big as a difference as you did with the RX-1.

I got about 2500 miles on each and I have to agree with everything tkuss states.

For what its worth - If I were to consider these skid choices again, I would re-work the mono-shock by Hy-Gear or Pioneer Performance. just my .02

I don't own or have ridden a ZX2, but I love tinkering with rear suspensions to get the most out of them. I've read alot of posts about this skid and find it interesting that studder bump performance isn't a strong suit of the ZX2. Most any rear skid that doesn't use a spring/shock on the front torque-arm usually will ride really well in the studders. So extra friction must be coming from somewhere??

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ZX2 a dry skid (no lube in the crosshafts)?If so, just wondering if anyone has tried greasing the crosshafts and pivot-points? It would make sense to me especially considering the expansion/contraction that must be going on around the crosshafts during changing temps. Does the skid ride better/worse in cold vs. warm weather?

I could be off base with this idea but just my 2-cents.

jzack said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ZX2 a dry skid (no lube in the crosshafts)?If so, just wondering if anyone has tried greasing the crosshafts and pivot-points? It would make sense to me especially considering the expansion/contraction that must be going on around the crosshafts during changing temps. Does the skid ride better/worse in cold vs. warm weather?

I could be off base with this idea but just my 2-cents.

I convinced Aaron Excell to fabricate these bushing for me (he now sells) not for friction issues but for long wear (see pics). I put the greese fittings in mine, not sure if Aaron did the same in his production kits.
Did not feel any performance change in the skid.

Bushingwear.jpg

ZX2Bushing.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

I know I have been saying that the ZX-2 is stiff in the stutters, but I am using the word stiff because I am comparing the ZX-2 to the mono which is probably the smoothest oem suspension in the stutters.

When comparing the ZX-2 in the stutters to all other suspensions it is pretty equal in smoothness. My apex is way tons smoother in the stutters compared to dads 08 Nytro RTX and my cousins 06 F7 sno-pro.

The ZX-2 may not be the best in the stutters but it is nowhere near the worst either.

Yes I am a picky SOB and the ZX2 doesn't bother me at all in the stutters, I get a little bounce here and there but for the most part its perfect. There was a guy on here that revalved the ZX2 himself and got it to ride like the mono in the stutters and still shine though the moguls. I was going to try that, but now I got the mono and I better give that a college try before I install the revalved ZX2 then I can really compare them.

The Snow D.O. said:
Just remember....... the mono definitely requires a re-valve to function at its optimal ability, otherwise I fear you may be disappointed to the same degree that I was ecstatic after my re-valve from Pioneer Performance and I had the spring upgrade prior to doing the re-valve. Re-valve = whole new rear suspension!!! :jump:

x2, I love my new set-up, RE-VALVING is a must! to your riding weight & style, the big mistake everyone makes is they OVER SPRING (to big of spring), the secret is VALVING, it's 110% better in all riding conditions with proper valving... :-o

I revalved the shocks in my ZX-2 and after some trail and error I have it riding to what I feel is equal to the mono skid. I often compare it to my buddy's Apex GT and feel I have got it right. I also put in the lighter springs.

Back