• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx-1 ER info....

rxscot

Just picked one up yesterday. I need to change the oil but my manual isn't coming until next week. I know everything is burried under the air box from other posts but what is the oil capacity & recommended weight???

Thanks for any info!

I'm coming out of my skin waiting to get on this thing next weekend. I've been on a 99 vmax twin for the last 6000 miles :o|

the weight you need to run in it is 0W40, and the capacity is around 4 Qts. I usually start with a little less..run it until hot..then rechech. The dipstick needs to be threaded back all the way in to check the oil level.
Enjoy the sled!
If it needs anything...let me know. I'm parting out an 05 right now...

oh...and buy the Yamaha oil filter wrench. it will make life MUCH easier!
Airbox, battery,and battery holder needs to come out of the sled to get to the filter. It's not bad once you have done it a couple times. I was not running the stiock airbox on it so pulling the K&N filters saved some hassle over the airbox...

If you need a full CRP/EPC kit for it I will have one for sale here soon...
REALLY wakes that sled up!!!

the oil level is checked with the dipstick NOT threaded in, just touching the base. when adding oil pour about half a quart into engine through valve cover, the rest into oil tank. it will take about 3.5 quarts total.

Just to verify what is above. You DO NOT thread the dipstick in to check the oil level, you just put it in until the threads rest on the top. If you thread it in and set your level that way, you will run a good 1/2 quart low and not know it.

Here is the page from the manual on checking the level:

and here are the two pages about changing the engine oil:

Finally, here is the page about oil recommendations, they recommend 5W30 which is easier to find in other oil brands than 0W40. I still use Yamalube 0W40 though.

Click the thumbnails for larger images.

SNOWDOG said:
oh...and buy the Yamaha oil filter wrench. it will make life MUCH easier!

Or you can use a set of 20" Channel locks The filters are a real &*^*%*%^% to get off. I used to drive a large screw driver through mine after I broke the Yami wrench. But now I use the Pliers.

You bought a great sled. My 05 will dust the fuel injected Apex's and if you ride it and feel you want to cure the front end problems (darting and ski lift) put on a set of simmons pro-flex skis, a 13mm sway bar from Pioneer Performance and a set of Ohlin clicker shocks, pull your limiter strap down to the 4th set of holes from the longest setting. I have built several now with this setup and they fly. This will almost totally eliminate the ski lift and the sled will feel as if it is turning on the center of the sled.

I ran with a pack of 12 guys last weekend, and was always waiting at the end of long twisty trails for them to catch up. I have 2 of their sleds in my shop now being upgraded after they rode mine they coul not believe they were on the same sleds they were riding. One guy was on his brand new 800 Cat and is already trying to sell it and looking for an 05.

I stand corrected. My 05 never went thru a lick of oil so when I would do the oil change I would read the manual to confirm.... but for some reason I remember the last time this topic arose, there was debate and for some reason I was thinking backwards this time.
Sorry rxscot...
grader and RR are correct on this...do NOT thread it back in to check.

Back