• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX Warrior Running Bad

rander62

Country
USA
Snowmobile
05 RX Warrior
So this has not been a good year for me. Not only was the weather horrible in Western PA but nothing but issues this year with my RX. Took it out for the first ride of the season and just seemed like it did not have the pickup like it did, nothing horrible though.

Took it out a few weeks later for another ride and problems were much worse. The bottom end had a real bad miss but once it got into the mid range and top end it seemed like it ran fine. The roll on power was bad though. Still was not bad enough not to ride. After riding I decided to look into it. I found surprisingly few threads on this issue with these.

First things I figured were bad gas, I didn't drain or run a fuel treatment after the previous season and exhaust donuts. I decided to try the exhaust donuts first because they needed done anyway and was hoping that would remedy the problem.

Got it back together and drained the fuel took it out for a ride. Bottom end was great but it feel flat on the top end topping out at about 75 mph. Oddly enough it ran better with the choke on at this time, half way. Decided the next step was to clean the carbs which I had never done before. Took them apart and got them the best I could. Small improvement, however still sluggish missing at various points in the power band.

I finally got tired of messing with it and took it to a local shop. Told them the problems I was having and asked them to fix it. They re cleaned the carbs and put in new spark plugs. They told me that they had rode it and it was fixed. Took it home and found somewhere with enough snow to take it out. While much improved, there was still an obvious hesitation on the bottom, it boggs for a few seconds before getting up to speed and again would top out full throttle on the road at 77 mph. Not sure where to go from here? I have had this sled for 3 years and never had any issues of this kind. Thanks.

sounds like carbs. Very sensitive to any blockage and lots of fine holes and passages. Be sure pilot passage, needle valve etc very clean. If you didn't have the fuel treatment over the summer, could be varnish and/or algae due to meth gas. I had a bad case of algae after using stabilizer but it wasn't the type for meth gas. Left green residue everywhere. Only choice was needed someone with a parts sonic cleaner and had to strip everything down. the other big issue I had was intermittent flooding, due to a bad O ring on the float valve seat assembly. Good luck...it really sucks when the carbs are not 100%.

Did they synchronize them?
Had an rx where the guy fooled with the wrong screway and messed them up; an rs nytro had lousy bottom and got them synched....like new now.

No I did not have them synced, the dealer told me that once they are set they are typically good unless you adjust them. But that very well could have happened when they were working on it. Also I am running Startron since this issue developed and also ran some sea foam in the tank hoping it would clear up, no change. Does the top end maxing out at 77 mph tell anyone anything. The stutter on the bottom seems like dirty carbs but maxing out like that seems unique. It should probably do 2x that.

I agree with Sumpbuster. Sync the carbs, and reclean the carbs. Just so you know, I was only getting 7,000 rpms out of my vector this year. I took the carbs off my sled 10 times or so, before I fixed it. I probable cleaned my carbs 5 times out of the 10 times the carbs where off of it. I think the problem was for mine, was the slides diaphragm where not seated right, making the sled only do 7,000 rpms. The syncing helped a lot, at idle for me, it should help your sled a lot to. Mine is an 08, and you would be surprised, how far out of sync they get. Mine took a 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the adjustment screw to get them back to normal!!! I would clean you carbs again, and sync them, and go from there again. Hope this helps you. I know I just talked about what the other guys said above.

I agree with Sumpbuster. Sync the carbs, and reclean the carbs. Just so you know, I was only getting 7,000 rpms out of my vector this year. I took the carbs off my sled 10 times or so, before I fixed it. I probable cleaned my carbs 5 times out of the 10 times the carbs where off of it. I think the problem was for mine, was the slides diaphragm where not seated right, making the sled only do 7,000 rpms. The syncing helped a lot, at idle for me, it should help your sled a lot to. Mine is an 08, and you would be surprised, how far out of sync they get. Mine took a 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the adjustment screw to get them back to normal!!! I would clean you carbs again, and sync them, and go from there again. Hope this helps you. I know I just talked about what the other guys said above.

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate any and all input. I will def. look into that, just stinks because snow is gone here so even if I do this stuff I'm not gonna know if it fixed the problem.

Most motorcycle shops can do it too...I almost made the vacuum gauge, but the apex is fuel and my son is going to take the vector to Excell for some summer work and syncing them is part of it. At least you know they will be balanced, even without snow, so if it still isn't right, it's something else. Very sensitive to adjustments.

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate any and all input. I will def. look into that, just stinks because snow is gone here so even if I do this stuff I'm not gonna know if it fixed the problem.
Yup, no problem. The carbs are very very sensitive to sync. You barely turn the screw, and you can see the oil levels change. Like I said, mine had 16,000 miles on it, so it was way way out of sync. Once it was half way good I turned the screws ever so slightly to get the fluid level decent, on the sync tool. You are going to have to make a sync tool, to sync the carbs. Grizz Tracks is the one who made the tool, there is a thread some where on how to make it. Just type sync tool in the search bar on this Forum, and it should come up. Hope this helps you.

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to try my shop first and see what they say, seeing as they told me it was fixed maybe they will do it for free.

LK
Thanks guys for the info. I am going to try my shop first and see what they say, seeing as they told me it was fixed maybe they will do it for free.
Let us know what you find out about it. Or what your shop says.

Syncing the carbs may make it run better on the bottom but it has nothing to do with top end. CV carbs rely on vacuum to open. The throttle controls the butterfly valves but the slides are operated on vacuum. It sounds like you either have a vacuum leak or something that is hanging up the slides (butterfly valves are cable controlled and easy to see if they are opening full). It could also be plugged mains but its usually the idle jets that plug because they are so small. It could be fuel filters in the tank coming apart causing bits into the carbs repeatedly or filters are plugged but usually if its starvation for fuel it runs like gangbusters then when gas runs out it falls on its face only to repeat when you back off and fuel fills the carbs again then hit the throttle. The boggy throttle and no top end or feeling that it falls on its face leads me to suspect CV slides are not working properly. Clean again and inspect. If the slides are opening wide open you have full power till it runs out of fuel it sounds like you don't have full power.

Finally after two years I found the solution (accidentally) to my problem. Turns out it had nothing to do with the carbs...

After going on a few rides this season, experiencing the same issues I was playing around with the coils and unhooked one while idling. To my surprise that made no change in how it was running. Switched the coil around to another cylinder and same thing. So I knew at least one coil was bad and the others seemed to be arching pretty good. Ordered a full new set and boy let me say, the sled runs like new! Wish I would have tried it much sooner, just wasn't in a hurry to spend $300 + on a set of coils. But now that I have it was money well spent. Hopefully this will help others with this issue.

Back