• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex Parking Brake

DJ Hennessy

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha Viper RTX SE
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
Re-installing brake assembly after drive & jack bearing replacements and noticed the parking brake assembly or housing sat right tight to rotor even with the 1/2" spacers installed in the correct location. I've added a couple shim washers between spacers and chain case housing to push the parking brake assembly out away from rotor 1.5mm. Even prior to adding washers, the parking brake does not hold the rotor in a locked position when set? Is there a pad that should be on the piston of the parking brake? I noticed there is a thin pad on the loose piston on the back side of the assembly behind the rotor, which makes me think the previous owner ran the sled with brake on and wore out a pad...? Only had sled for 7mths, tearing through it replacing all sorts of parts, parking brake cable was completely ripped off when I got it... Any tips or help?

Thanks in advance!

In the parts fiche its called a Parking brake kit. Looks like pads on both sides.
176368_BRAKE (2).jpg

Is the rotor on the right direction? the spacing is different for each side.

Look at full micro fiche on Yamaha web site or Partzilla. is marked to the left. Look at the fin rotation and the step out of the disc that slides on the shaft. The fiche should show you the assembly order. Post some pictures if unsure.

I checked photos to make sure the rotor went on properly, all is good there. I saw wear marks in the housing for the parking brake where the rotor would have been rubbing... I'm sure it just required some shims. Prob going to scrap the whole idea of the parking brake I think anyways after seeing pics burnt out sleds from people that forgot them on!

Back