• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'15+ Viper - which one and thoughts

CCCT

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Apex
2009 PhazerGT
Hey guys, selling my 07 Apex ER 121" in hopes to switch to a 15+ viper. From my research I 'think' I want to go with an XTX. It appears they only come in the 141 skid correct? I'm mostly on the trails, but last season more than a few times I found myself choosing to sit on the side of the trail and watch the other riders I was with go play in the deeper stuff off trail. I just didn't feel like burying the apex lol. This is my main reason for leaning toward the xtx. Should also note that I really only do maybe 500-1500 kms a season, but things could change and I may get out more this year.

Anyways, I was looking strictly for a 137, but appears the xtx is only in the 141. If everyone thinks I'm nuts going with the 141, please let me know and change my mind. I'm always a "better to have it and not need it, than to need it an not have it" type of guy. I'd like to get something for the long term and not have any "i should have got this version instead" situations.

Are the 137's and 141"s essentially the same in real world (ie. probably wont be able to tell a different either way on the trails)? I'm aware the 141 comes with a 1.6 lug.

Confused why so many different models and what they mean. RTX, LTX, and then theres the LE, SE, Delux - ugh. I like bells and whistles and looking forward to a heated seat among other things. Not sure which model has what options and so on.

Anywhoo when I go look at a some in person, is there a way to pull up any past codes/history on it (I can do this on my apex through diag mode). Looking for other tips and advice on what to look out for and thoroughly check before handing over any cash.

Thanks in advance.

The 141 is uncoupled and Slightly better off trail, i have a 15 XTX DX also 141 uncoupled love it on trail, superior to my APEX XTX off trail. If your mostly on trial I am told to take 137 slightly over 141 i suspect it will come down what you find the best deal on.

I have had both the LTX (137") coupled and XTX (141") uncoupled suspensions. The XTX is a compromise; they call it a "cross-over" sled because that is exactly what it is. It is a sled that you can take off trail in reasonable conditions (it is not a 174" mountain sled), but it is also at home as a trail sled. The LTX is designated as a trail sled. The XTX is more "playful" because of the uncoupled suspension, and easier to lift your skis, important if you are riding in deeper snow. But because of its suspension, it does not have as comfortable a ride when the trails get rough.

For me, if I am riding 200-250 miles all day long on groomed trails, I would take the LTX every time, but if I am headed out to do 100-125 miles, +/-, and I want to be able to "play" when the opportunity arises, I will take the XTX. I made modifications to my XTX, different shocks and springs, and skis, and the end result is that it is a really good handling sled on the trail that allows me to do the type of limited off-trail riding that I enjoy. I love my LTX for the long rides, but if I am riding the LTX when there is fresh snow, I miss my XTX.

Thanks for the feedback guys. My trips are usually shorter day trips throughout the seasons. The Max would likely be 150-180 kms per day (which is about 90-110 miles). I guess I'm still leaning towards the xtx 141 for now. Lifting the skis is always fun when you get on the juice too. Problem is here in ontario, most people either have the 129 or the 137 for sale.

Give me a pm when the trails open up, I am in Sudbury, we could do a ride and you could try my '15 Viper XTX for some of the ride

Hey guys, selling my 07 Apex ER 121" in hopes to switch to a 15+ viper. From my research I 'think' I want to go with an XTX. It appears they only come in the 141 skid correct? I'm mostly on the trails, but last season more than a few times I found myself choosing to sit on the side of the trail and watch the other riders I was with go play in the deeper stuff off trail. I just didn't feel like burying the apex lol. This is my main reason for leaning toward the xtx. Should also note that I really only do maybe 500-1500 kms a season, but things could change and I may get out more this year.

Anyways, I was looking strictly for a 137, but appears the xtx is only in the 141. If everyone thinks I'm nuts going with the 141, please let me know and change my mind. I'm always a "better to have it and not need it, than to need it an not have it" type of guy. I'd like to get something for the long term and not have any "i should have got this version instead" situations.

Are the 137's and 141"s essentially the same in real world (ie. probably wont be able to tell a different either way on the trails)? I'm aware the 141 comes with a 1.6 lug.

Confused why so many different models and what they mean. RTX, LTX, and then theres the LE, SE, Delux - ugh. I like bells and whistles and looking forward to a heated seat among other things. Not sure which model has what options and so on.

Anywhoo when I go look at a some in person, is there a way to pull up any past codes/history on it (I can do this on my apex through diag mode). Looking for other tips and advice on what to look out for and thoroughly check before handing over any cash.

Give me a pm when the trails open up, I am in Sudbury, we could do a ride and you could try my '15 Viper XTX for some of the ride
will do. Thanks for the offer.
When I'm there I'm in south end by long lake Rd. I hope to have found one by the time the trials are opened and I'll likely be bringing it up with me.

What would you choose out of these.

Found a couple I may be interested in but would like thought on which route you guys would go?

1) 2016 (5/2015 build date) xtx LE with heated seat and fox evo's mint shape with 3500 miles

OR for $1000 canadian more:

2) 2016 (also with 5/2015 build date) xtx SE, no heated seat, and fox float 3, with CA skis and only 600 miles on it. Also MINT perfect shape.

Thoughts on what you would choose and why?

#2. I always look for lower km's on things that I know I'm going to make changes to anyways. That way in a couple years if you decide to trade/sell/upgrade you have 2500 miles instead of 5400. Much more attractive to future buyers plus you haven't had to spend the extra $ on wear and tear items along the way on the higher mileage sled. That's just me though.

Thanks for the reply guys. My thoughts too and what I've always done with everything else (cars trucks etc.) just wasn't sure if the LE was that much better than the se. Guess I could always upgrade the float3s with the hygear stuff I've been reading about. Other than that I think I'd just be missing the heated seat and some tunnel decals. Don't think there's much else unless I'm missing some other key features.

I bought a 2016 LTX-LE and really love the ride for sure. QS3s and 137 work perfect for this aging 45+ yrs in the saddle riding vet! But then again my vintage Vmax4 feels great on the trails like in the pic to the left..... NO really, I love my viper for the ride.

Agree less miles is a big deal IF significant to me 600 miles is a great 3 day trip and minimally significant.
Condition is everything clean, straight and Everything functioning normally.

When you look at sleds even in at a restaurant parking lot its easy to tell the well cared for sleds

Back