• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

16 viper engine rods w mpi turbo

mshabaz

Expert
Anyone know if Yamaha is gonna do anything with replacement rods in the newer engines that pop w factory turbos?
I keep reading about the engine issues on the 190 kits and would love to play w more boost but can't because I have the "newer" motor.

Do a quick search. Your question should have lots of answers. Yamaha is replacing the engines that throw a rod.
There hasn't been many issues with the warranty that I've read.

Right. But I can't get warranty if I put on an intercooler. And would like to be able to know that I would have no issue w it blowing up. So I'm wondering if Yamaha might do an update or recall on the current rods.

I didn't think you could run any boost at all on the new motor without them popping? Still able to run low boost reliably?

It was installed as spring deal. Was able to get special 4 years worth of yes extended warranty as long as mpi was dealer installed. A really sweet deal. Until we find out that the new motor ain't so great!! It is true that some people here have had more than one motor replaced under warranty. now that we know the cause of failure in them, I'm hoping Yamaha does the right thing and fixes all our "newer" 16 engines so they don't pop. Shoulda just left well enough alone and none of us would be having these conversations. The early 16 and older motors were bullet proof. So there really shouldn't be that many "newer" motors out there in comparison to the old. Come on Yamaha. Fix my motor to be tough like Yamaha engines have always been!!

It's just rumor right now but my dealer told me if you have a 16 that is turboed that Yamaha might be offering a rod replacement program of some sort. I guess it was something mentioned to him by the rep during to open house.

Just this post is all I heard. Seems to be gaining steam though. Hopefully something is being done. If given choice and if Yamaha paid the labor I would go with Carrillo and be done with it forever no matter the mods. It never ends you know.

Mine blew at 1079 miles, PTO side split the case into and sent metal through the turbo. Yamaha sent the dealer a new create motor but they can't tell me if it has different rods and still waiting for new turbo kit. This happened on 3/4/16 and its been at the dealer since 3/12 thankfully it happened just before we lost all are ridable snow and not the beginning of the season

Hope it's got new goods inside!!! Mileagewise im at 800. So not far behind you!!

I have 4000 hard km on mine and no issues at all. Seems if they are going to go they go quickly.

Not all the 16's are bad. Hurricane showed that there are two types of rods in them. Some heat treated and great and the others. We can only hope that most of the motors have the proper heat treated ones and a small run of the ones made out of Butter are slowly being weeded out.

Last edited:

Back