• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 popping/backfiring........

Phaze

Expert
10°F out today. Went for a 60 mile cruz........ after about 40 miles I decided to get little aggressive in the twisties... Half off the sled in the corners, off throttle, then back on the throttle hard, off for the next corner etc, etc.... Did this for a while. Came out of a corner and it started popping. Not sure if it was thru the carbs or exhaust. Sled came to a stop, but still running. Gave it a little throttle, started popping. Let it idle for a little bit, idled fine, then I was able to take off again. Ran fine. Snappy, didn't bog out while approaching higher speeds, 60/70..

Another 10 miles it started again while going back to the throttle even tho I wasn't riding as aggressive, Didn't go hard into corners, but still at a descent clip.

Since it idled fine after it was popping, was it starving for fuel? And the bowels needed to fill up so I could go again? Is this a carb cleaning issue? Haven't checked the plugs. But it seemed to run really well until I cranked it up in the twisties, hard throttle then off throttle...... When it did pop it was when I went back to the throttle...

Ideas?

Thanks,
Phaze.....

i'm not 100% sure, but i think that it is the torqs system or whatever it's called for the throttle override if it sticks wide open. my dad rx1 does that same thing sometimes, and my rs nytro does the same.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think that it is the torqs system or whatever it's called for the throttle override if it sticks wide open. my dad rx1 does that same thing sometimes, and my rs nytro does the same.

Thanks for the reply....... What did you guys do to resolve the issue? Carbs or cable sticking?

I agree...TORS. Been there, done that. I ended up unplugging and plugging into itself as stated above. Correct fix is actually cable adjustment, I believe. Just search TORS here and you'll find lots of info.

I agree...TORS. Been there, done that. I ended up unplugging and plugging into itself as stated above. Correct fix is actually cable adjustment, I believe. Just search TORS here and you'll find lots of info.

I did that with an older Phazer to see if TORS was causing the issue, plugged the connectors together, it wasn't. I'm going to get it into the garage to take a looksy. Too cold outside. I wonder also if a boot could be cracked and causing a lean condition?

I did that with an older Phazer to see if TORS was causing the issue, plugged the connectors together, it wasn't. I'm going to get it into the garage to take a looksy. Too cold outside. I wonder also if a boot could be cracked and causing a lean condition?
Mine was on an '05 Rx-1 as well. So, if it's something else. Start with carbs.

It did it twice on a 60 mile run. Otherwise, it ran like a champ......

If it's truly the TORS, I think I found the issue. The throttle cable is too tight. There is a tiny bit of slack, it's almost tight. The jam nut was loose. Guessing the adjuster could then vibrate taken the slack out of the cable? How much slack should there be? 1/8 to 1/4?

Noticed too that there is no gap at the throttle lever on the bar....

Special should be in owners manual. Not sure of exact # off hand. My guess is you've figured out the problem

I hope it's that easy. I do have a shop manual that may tell me the amount of slack...

I'll make the adjustment and if I still have an issue I'll bypass tors briefly to see if it goes away...

FYI, play is .08. Between 1/16 and 1/8, 1/12th to be exact. In other words, not much.....

Made the adjustment. Started it and dropped the choke to 1/2 like I normally do. RPMs are a lot less. I bet the throttle was acting like it was partially depressed before the adj.. I have a little slack in the cable now. Didn't test run.......

Made the adjustment. Started it and dropped the choke to 1/2 like I normally do. RPMs are a lot less. I bet the throttle was acting like it was partially depressed before the adj.. I have a little slack in the cable now. Didn't test run.......
Good to hear. Fingers crossed, but I am guessing you are good to go.

Back