• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Nytro heat exchanger damaged

Mr.Black

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Nytro RTX
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Nytro RTX from a dealer, they told me the previous owner caught a rock in the heat exchanger and it was replaced by them. What are the issues that could arise from this, does they system on the Nytro kill the engine before damage is done? Is there anything in particular I could look for to see if everything is OK? The dealer seems to be a fairly strait shooter and they give 30 day warranties on their used vehicles. Thanks.

As long as there's no coolant leaks, and all of the rivets are tight you should be fine. The heat exchanger is the main structure for the front of the tunnel, and it's not a simple "slap it in" job, and held in with quite a few rivets to the sides and top of the tunnel. I would ask if they'd be willing to let you look at it with the bottom cover and/or side panels removed so you can check the rivets for any that didn't seat fully. Wrestling a heat exchanger into a Nytro isn't the most fun, and I've seen a couple sleds where someone had made a few relief cuts around the water inlet/outlet to make installing it easier, but that's not the end of the world.. I pole vaulted one of my old Nytro's over a steel fence post that was mostly buried in the middle of the trail, so I'm familiar with replacing them..
Other than the temp light/check engine light and the fans coming on, the sled has to get pretty darn hot before it shuts itself off. I've seen a few members on TY rides in marginal conditions overheat and shut down with no ill-effects later, so I wouldn't think I'd lose any confidence over it. Just be glad they told you about it rather than pass it off as "untouched"..
As long as it doesn't look like they beat the new one into place with a huge hammer, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back