• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 vector LTX Any major problems ?

quebec#1

Expert
Looking at a 2008 Vector Ltx with about 3000 miles. I was on a 2007 Apex GT for the last 3 seasons would the Vector be a big let down in hp's /ride/cornering ect .. Also do the 2008' Vector's have the same problems like the Early Apex Models ? Do donuts go bad with the 2008 Vectors at 3000 miles, bushings, cracked rear suspensions ect..

quebec#1 said:
Looking at a 2008 Vector Ltx with about 3000 miles. I was on a 2007 Apex GT for the last 3 seasons would the Vector be a big let down in hp's /ride/cornering ect .. Also do the 2008' Vector's have the same problems like the Early Apex Models ? Do donuts go bad with the 2008 Vectors at 3000 miles, bushings, cracked rear suspensions ect..

I would say the only let down will be the H/P factor, not a big deal if you don't run lakes seeing who will be the 1st to the other side.

As far as the other stuff goes I am guessing it would be pretty close to the same but the advantage would go to the Vector in the cornering department imo. (less mass, lower engine=lower centre of gravity)

I love my Vector, it's my first Yamaha but I chose it because I rarely ride lakes and everything I read said it was the most under rated sled on the snow.(everyone has to have the big boy Apex but they are missing out on a great riding/handling trail sled)

As far as I know, Donuts will eventually go bad on any year sled and the cracked rear suspension components were upgraded/eliminated in the 08 Delta-2 chasis's)

monte1214 said:
- The Vector is quieter than the Apex.

- Right Irv!!!

Yeah, I was going to mention that too in my first post, not having to listen to that dreaded drone is also a plus! ;)!

There is nothing I would change with my LTX.. It is an unbelieveably reliable machine.. Astonishing gas mileage and the 3 banger tucked down in low makes it handles great..

we've got 2. and no problems with either with 13,000 km's. did exhaust donuts at 11,000kms. no bushing or suspension problems. other then that stupid cable brakes off for adjusting your monoshock.but just set it once and leave it. it easily keeps up with 600 etecs on groomed trail. and will kill them if you want to race :p

We have an '07 and it os an Awesome sled. Did the seat mod, sway bar and skis. Fuel mileage is in the low 20's and fun factor is above a 90! I ride a warrior and would seriously consider a Vector ltx when I upgrade!

love my 09 ltx,like one said,the cable for the shock doesnt last,i'm on the 2nd one and it is broke to,but its set to my liking so i wont bother with it anymore,i'm at 16000 km,exhaust donuts need to be changed but overall,very reliable machine,doesnt burn a drop of oil

smalltownpower said:
we've got 2. and no problems with either with 13,000 km's. did exhaust donuts at 11,000kms. no bushing or suspension problems. other then that stupid cable brakes off for adjusting your monoshock.but just set it once and leave it. it easily keeps up with 600 etecs on groomed trail. and will kill them if you want to race :p

STP, what condition were your donuts in at 11,000km's, were they way overdue or still in pretty decent shape?

I too don't like the clutch rattle but glad it is only noticable at idle.

smalltownpower said:
the donuts had were bout 60-70 percent the size of a new one. they still worked, but it was time to change them anyway. they werernt a catastophic failure

Thanks for letting me know ;)!

I have approx 5,000km's on mine now and was thinking about getting in there to have a look but I am so far behind schedule because of my bent a-arm situation, I think I will wait until next year. :o|

Hi there I’m new to the forum and would like some feedback from anyone as I am wanting to purchase a Yamaha sled.
So here’s where I’m at : just turned 65 and retired and now live out at the lake. The last snowmobile I purchased was a 1973 440 skiroule ! So I have been out of sledding for quite some time. Getting back into it now and was looking for your comments. I just picked up a 1998 arctic cat 550 cougar for my wife to ride and now I’m looking for one for myself. Like everyone else, I’m looking for a dependable low maintenance sled that must have electric start ( for the Manitoba winters) and reverse. I am 6’4” and 290 lbs so I need something to carry the load. I plan to do some trail riding, and a fair amount of lake riding and exploring.
I am looking at a 2009 Yamaha Vector 1000 LTX GT / 2815 miles.
A couple of questions, I am no 5 star mechanic so are these 3 cyl motors hard to maintain and keep running? Are there any issues that you have personally experienced that I should be aware of, or I should look for when I go to see this machine ?
Any and all comments would be appreciated.
Thank you
Lorne.

Welcome to the site.
You will have no issues with the motor. You will have the common wear items to address as miles pile up like bearings in the driveline, bearings in the skid wheels, replacing sliders, oil changes and so on.
At close to 3000 miles the front end plastic bushings will be well worn. A long term solution to these are the oil lite bushings.
If you plan on low speed stuff on the lakes make sure you have a rear tunnel cooler. These machines tend to get warm when just putting around.
At 6'4" you may want to consider raising the seat foam, raising the bars and using a Xlarge windshield.
290lbs I would upgrade the skid spring to the 6.0kg

Back