• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 - XTX rear suspension

I figure I added a few pounds to the skid with extra wheels and other stuff to beef it up.
But I only need it to be stiffer with 300k or so ride after the ice build up everywhere (including the skid itself) occurs.

Anyone add a heavier spring to the XTX and have them on with no issues. My HyGear setup is A+ but with the extra wieght I have added to the rear and the ice build up at the end of the weekend I have some bottoming issues with the springs on high/high. And if so what spring did you use? I am 250lbs plus gear, and 2.5 gallon jerry can.

northerndoc said:
Have you tried playing with the high speed compression adjustment knob on the rear shock? Not saying that you don't need more spring rate to handle the weight, but shock valving is typically what controls bottoming resistance. Too much spring rate will have the back end bouncing all over the place on bigger bumps. If your rear compression clicker is set in the middle (factory), you could definitely add a few clicks to see what that gets you. Just write down everything you do so you can return to stock if necc.

I agree. Better to let the shock do the work. If adjusting the compression dampening does not work get the shock re valved to do what you want it to do.

sledheadgeorge said:
northerndoc said:
Have you tried playing with the high speed compression adjustment knob on the rear shock? Not saying that you don't need more spring rate to handle the weight, but shock valving is typically what controls bottoming resistance. Too much spring rate will have the back end bouncing all over the place on bigger bumps. If your rear compression clicker is set in the middle (factory), you could definitely add a few clicks to see what that gets you. Just write down everything you do so you can return to stock if necc.

I agree. Better to let the shock do the work. If adjusting the compression dampening does not work get the shock re valved to do what you want it to do.

I have had the shock re-valved, I spoke with HyGear and they think I may be exceeding the factory spring limit with the wieght I am carrying. I would like to have the torsion set to lo/med so incase of ice build up. I agree with letting the shock to the work but in this case the shock is overloaded with the wieght......not enough spring.

stopdropanroll said:
sledheadgeorge said:
northerndoc said:

I have had the shock re-valved, I spoke with HyGear and they think I may be exceeding the factory spring limit with the wieght I am carrying. I would like to have the torsion set to lo/med so incase of ice build up. I agree with letting the shock to the work but in this case the shock is overloaded with the wieght......not enough spring.

Let us know how you make out. ;)!

you can get torsion springs out of the mountain skid up to 1500 but I would also looks at using the Nytro RTX springs, they go up to 1900 and 2100. All the springs will work you just have to cut about 3" of length off the end of the torsion spring. I recommend the 1900 or even 2100 on soft if you have that much weight. 1500 mountain springs(cut 3" off) are stronger than the original XTX skid torsion springs. I'm guessing the stock XTX springs are around 1300 - 1500, but when you cut 3" off of mountian 1500 springs you are increasing the rigidness off those springs to probably around 1600-1700.....This is what my findings have been.

cmd951 said:
you can get torsion springs out of the mountain skid up to 1500 but I would also looks at using the Nytro RTX springs, they go up to 1900 and 2100. All the springs will work you just have to cut about 3" of length off the end of the torsion spring. I recommend the 1900 or even 2100 on soft if you have that much weight. 1500 mountain springs(cut 3" off) are stronger than the original XTX skid torsion springs. I'm guessing the stock XTX springs are around 1300 - 1500, but when you cut 3" off of mountian 1500 springs you are increasing the rigidness off those springs to probably around 1600-1700.....This is what my findings have been.

Thanks ;)!

nytro rtx springs won't fit to short tried em had to take them back

Contact ulmer racing!
I got a set of 1900nm springs for my xtx a few years ago, hugh improvement over the stock springs. 10-12,000 km on these springs with zero issues.

Contact ulmer racing!
I got a set of 1900nm springs for my xtx a few years ago, hugh improvement over the stock springs. 10-12,000 km on these springs with zero issues.
awesome thanks

Or try Travis at Barn of Parts. He hooked me up with 1500's for 100, and he has heavier springs too for similar savings.

Back