• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Grizz 700 very low coolant

brade07

I have had my 2012 for a bit over 4 years now (bought brand new) 790kms on it and about 150hours, going for a long trail ride this weekend so was checking everything over last night to get it ready.
Couple things I found, There was a bit of what I believe to be gas in the oil, it wasnt milky, but smelled slightly like gasoline and was slightly thinner than new oil, but drained 2.0L out and added 2.0L in. I change my oil every 6 months since new with a new filter every time. The air filter is clean and unobstructed, spark plug only 5 months old, I have never had an issue with the bike.

Second thing was the coolant, which I am embarrassed to say I havent checked since the first year I had the quad. There was nothing at all in the reservoir so I checked the rad and it was down about 1.5" from top of the rad. The bike doesnt leak any fluids, it doesnt smoke other than a blue puff on start up in sub -20 temps, no sweet smell from exhaust and engine runs like a top and has never overheated on me (LUCKILY!)

Now I do run the bike 90% of the time in low gear, either towing fairly heavy loads (5'tow behind mower, dual axle log trailer) hauling fire wood off of the mountain around my house (very steep inclines, rock outcrops etc...) or plowing snow. Could the coolant have just spilled out of the overflow over the last 3 years due to working the atv hard and driving it on very steep slopes?

Any help on the matter would be great, Im going to top up the coolant tonight and go for a good ride to see if it drops at all.

sounds like it is time for a coolant change. it should be done every 4-5 years or as recomended by manufacturer. it does start getting acidic and starts eating the parts over time.

do you park the bike with the gas shut off? could have a seeping needle filling the crankcase with gas.

Back