• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 XTX Drive bearing question.

TLM

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Nytro xtx, oft relocate, oilite bushings, comfort clutch, tunnel block, tailight relocate, cr10EK plugs, copper donuts, tuner skis, Grizz Tracks gusset kit. Excell x wheels. Mo-Flow console vent and curved vents.
I have a 2012 XTX with about 2200 miles on it. When should the drive bearing be serviced/replaced? I f that bearing is servicable, is there a specific grease to use? I just purchased my sled last season and want to make sure it is ready to go. The sled has the 1.25" track....for now...... Thanks for any input you may have!

I have the same year XTX with 2400 miles and just serviced my driveshaft and trackshaft bearings. I used mobile 1 synthetic. Preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Take the snap ring out , Clean the area really good to get rid of any dirt and grim use a dental pic to pry out the seal. If the grease looks like it is still clean, they just wipe some of it away and a shot of grease or sometimes I will even clean them out with brake clean and give them a couple of shots of good grease. I only do this if I know for sure there is absolutely no dirt or grit that will be blasted into there. Clean up the back of the seal and pop it back in. Don't over grease it and think some is good and more is better, to much and it could squeeze out past the seals and make a mess or worse it could pop the seal out . Cleaned bearing and 2 , maybe 3 shots of grease, just wiping away old grease 1 shot of grease. Use a low temperature waterproof grease is best.

Just changed mine out as it was new 2 yrs ago about 2-3000 miles and water got in and it was completely seized. But yes service it yearly! but it is easy to change out too.

Before I install a new bearing I will usually pop one of the seals to check the grease quantity. More then once I have come across a bearing that had little to no grease. I had a NTN bearing tech tell me years ago that if I serviced my bearings regularly and keep fresh grease in there , the bearings would last 10 times longer . He was the one who also told me to pop the seals and check . I have had lots of bearings that could take a full pump of grease and still not be over filled, just barely the right amount to me. These were also not low quality bearings either.

Back