• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Yamaha Venture Lite Reverse Issue

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Venture Lite
Looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot the reverse on my machine. We had a recent cold stretch and due to our location and limitations of storage I cover it up and keep it as out of the elements as possible. First thing I tried was applying heat to the reverse button in case of any ice or water build-up. No luck. Read on a forum that some people have tried letting it start with the throttle open. No luck. Next trick, was to start it and rock back and forth and then lift up the back. No luck. Last thing I tried was to check the fuses and they appeared fine.

Any ideas on what to try next?

You might look around some older posts in the venture lite/ multipurpose area...they covered some things to check...like making sure your belt is not too loose, or other things. I have a 2016 venture mp and even at 15 below recently, the reverse and forward was almost instantaneous. I just looked at some of the older posts and there is mention of making sure your rig is warmed up properly as well...I usually warm mine up for at least 5 min first thing in the morning. I already mentioned a belt change if you have a lot of miles on your current belt. Mooseman mentioned tightening some chain then backing off slightly...anyways , lots of info here

Last edited:
You don't mention what the symptoms are exactly. What happens when you push the button?

You don't mention what the symptoms are exactly. What happens when you push the button?
Symptoms: The Drive Light (green one) has always typically been on following start-up and while moving forward, but it has not been illuminated since the reverse has stopped functioning. Both the reset and mode functions appear to be working as well as the display and gauges. When the reverse is pressed, the machine does not respond at all: keeps running and stays in forward gear with no response at all. That's why I was thinking maybe a fuse or something.

You might look around some older posts in the venture lite/ multipurpose area...they covered some things to check...like making sure your belt is not too loose, or other things. I have a 2016 venture mp and even at 15 below recently, the reverse and forward was almost instantaneous. I just looked at some of the older posts and there is mention of making sure your rig is warmed up properly as well...I usually warm mine up for at least 5 min first thing in the morning. I already mentioned a belt change if you have a lot of miles on your current belt. Mooseman mentioned tightening some chain then backing off slightly...anyways , lots of info here

Thank you. I will have a look tomorrow.

Sounds like the fuse or something disconnected. If the fuse blew, there must be a reason. The reverse system is independent of the gauge pod itself. Download the repair manual and check the diagrams for connectors and circuits.

there is a bank of relays in behind your battery and I do believe there is a relay for reverse and they are prone to freezing and sticking. Use a hairdryer on the relays to thaw them out. If the reverse works you should replace the relay due to moisture content or you could dry it out and use a silicone sealer that would be used to seal plug wires on a car or truck!

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. The other symptom I forgot to mention is that the yellow warning light is flashing (usually this is what happens when the fuel is running less than a bar or 2) constantly, even with a full tank.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. The other symptom I forgot to mention is that the yellow warning light is flashing (usually this is what happens when the fuel is running less than a bar or 2) constantly, even with a full tank.

If you have a flashing yellow light, you have a warning and in your dash or pod there should be a two digit number flashing and at the begining of the venture lite/ multi section, there is a section with a list of fault codes this will point you in the right direction!

Checked the relays (they are really hard to get to behind the battery) and hairdryered them for a while...the yellow warning just flashes the fuel tank, but there is no code like I've seen in the past. I'm wondering if you can count the flashes to figure out another code? Been checking and re-checking multiple things

That would mean you are either low on fuel or the fuel level sender is either faulty or disconnected. Forgot to plug it in once and it did that.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, If you are talking about the amber triangle light that will come on with low fuel or if you have a fault either or! If no code is appearing, It's a good chance it's not electrical, code 88 is for reverse problem according to the post in the list of fault codes.

Back