• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 sr viper xtx will not go in reverse

carcus1

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
ventures
So this morning pulled the viper out of storage, started beautifully but would not go into reverse, its not even trying, worked perfect when I up it away? Any help would be appreciated.

Mine doesnt work when its cold. After i put some miles on it always works though.

So this morning pulled the viper out of storage, started beautifully but would not go into reverse, its not even trying, worked perfect when I up it away? Any help would be appreciated.

No reverse sign on the guage.. did you check the connection at reverse motor?

My actuator on my 14 went out at about 600. Miles but unhook it from the starter and hit button to see if it is working

Again pulled the xtx out of storage and reverse not working! Lol, definitely not a pure blooded yamaha !

What did you find was the issue? Mine has been very intermittent after the sled is warmed up. Issue has also happened a few time cold, but most of the time works fine after the sled has sat. I dont hear a thing when I hit the reverse button....other times it works perfectly fin . 15 Viper

More than likely the actuator has stripped the gears. When you put it on you can NOT twist it the wrong way to get the bolts in. If you can’t get the three actuator bolts to line up you must twist it clockwise I believe. This would be the direction it would normally turn to go into reverse. So you end up with the sled somewhere between forward and reverse. Once you cycle it forward and reverse things are shifting properly.

If you force the actuator the opposite the direction of reverse from the detented forward position it can strip the cheesy plastic gears in the actuator.

If you do happen to strip the plastic ring gear it’s no big deal, don’t go buy a new actuator.
Just pop the round cover off the actuator and remove the circlip holding the ring gear on the shaft. Reclock the gear 180 degrees and reassemble with new grease. The actuator only uses about 60 degrees of rotation so the steel worm gear will have new plastic junk ring gear to mesh with. In reality you could probably strip the gears 4 times without having to buy a new actuator.

PS I did pull the motor armature out (worm gear) when I did mine but a friend said he has done it without pulling the motor off.

Im thinking mine is electrical, when its not working, it doesnt even attempt to switch gear.....zero activity. Guessing I either have a loose or corroded connection. Gonna have to dig in! Lol

I had the brushes hang up on my 18, which can cause an intermittent symptom.

Just had this happen. If I tapped the actuator, it worked. Replaced it under warranty in 5 minutes in the driveway and no issue since. The new actuators are updated supposedly.

Had a similar issue with no reverse when sled is warm. No grinding noise. removed the actuator from the chaincase and works great while holding it in your hand, opened it up and the gears are fine. Figured maybe the motor was too weak? Interestingly when it happens the lights slightly dim when you press the reverse button indicating there is a load. Its almost like the actuator is trying to operate in the wrong direction (moving the gear in the forward direction instead of reverse), although Im not sure. Replaced it with a new actuator (albeit the Dorman PN for the Saturn car) but same issue. Anyways, I removed the spring and safety lock and now it rarely happens :dunno: . But when it does hopefully you're not in a tight spot lol.

Might want to check your chain tension. The 14's where all set up too tight from factory.

Check belt tension also. If it is too tight, it creates a load on the two gears that mesh, and they don't want to slide apart.

Back