• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 vs 2015 suspensions

On the 14 RTX se and 14 sno pro rails are same. If anyone wants to send me there LTX rear shock I will post the valving. I would just do a refresh since I do not have even mine right in two attempts at revalving. I did find water in mine when I had them apart so that may be a reason for inconsistancy between the two makes.

Could be. I am not condemning the ACT shocks yet but the past ACT's it was very common to see badly burnt oil in under 3000 mi even on tame riders sleds. Crummiest oil I have ever seen in a shock. I would really recommend at least 3000mi refresh till we know how these hold up.

The 7000 transfers weight much better, I've only been able to really loft the front of my sled a couple times in just the right type of snow, the 7000 you can pull up very easily and actually carry the skis some if you want yet on the trail it's glued to the ground. To be honest I think I had more of a problem with the rear shock than the center shock, was hard to get the suspension to sag cuz that rear shock was so stiff and rebound was bad as well, way too slow. Revalving my center shock did help, but that alone isn't quite enough

Our Sno Pro 7000 was not much better. It was very stiff and only after a bunch of miles did it loosen up to get some sag when sitting on it. It did not transfer well and I don't think I ever was able to pull the skis. I was not impressed with the rebound either. It was horrible when hammering through moguls. The sno pro should be stiff. They are made for and advertised for bigger bumps, not comfortable trail rides in smaller groomed trail bumps, but they could have done a much better valve job IMO. I get confused on the LTX and LTX SE. It sounds as if all the LTX 137's rear suspension ride hard when the non SE should have ridden softer like the Cat 7000 LXR? Didn't the LTX come with coil springs on the front and softer shocks in the rear and the SE with a stiffer rear shocks and the floats up front?

I will be taking apart and posting the valve shim stack of a 14 ltx std real soon here. Question for you LTX guys. Is the std the same rear shock as the SE ? On 129 std they are whole different shock and ride very plush compared to RTX se. Bottom pretty easy though. The owner says his LTX std is very stiff.

I will be taking apart and posting the valve shim stack of a 14 ltx std real soon here. Question for you LTX guys. Is the std the same rear shock as the SE ? On 129 std they are whole different shock and ride very plush compared to RTX se. Bottom pretty easy though. The owner says his LTX std is very stiff.

I think it's the same shock just different valving.

Totally different rear shocks.
fxnytroxtx said:
Ok just got my rear shock back, had it revalved and so far I'm liking the results! The sled is much smoother now and transfers better I can now press the rear with my weight as before it almost didn't move (I'll try cannodales advise on running the track looser for better transfer). It turns out that the front shock is kinda soft and the rear was stiff. The guy softened the rear about 30% according to the dyno sheet. He just did a set of rtx shocks before mine and the stacks are exactly the same as the ltx, the only difference was that the rear ltx shock was about 1" longer.

If this LTX owner is correct we already know what the valving is in our Yamahas. Based on that I believe its safe to assume LTX and XF cat 137" skids are same shocks,geometry and valving as our respective models. SnoPro/SE,LXR/STD. Same for 15? Have to go through all this again unless Yamaha posts their valving like cat does.

14 7000LXR ....................................................................14 7000 SnoPro
3604-811 body.................................................................... 3604-914 body
14 7000LXR.jpg
14 XF 7000 SnoPro.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully the statement above is true about all the shocks and valving being the same, if my viper came from the factory riding like the xf's I've ridden the my shocks would've never been sent out. Is it possible that the oil used in the shocks between cat and yammi was different and if so would that make that much of a ride difference? Not sure if anyone remembers or not but one of the issues I had with my rear shock since day 1 was that there was some chuck in the shaft. When I pushed down on the rear bumper and released pressure and pushed down again right away there was about a 1/2 inch of just nothing in the rear shock. I guess knowing how that was from day 1 I'm just basing my judgement on hoping that my shock package was screwy from the factory. I'm not saying it as a complaint, it's unfortunate it couldn't have been right or atleast closer from the factory, but I can handle spending $200 to get my shocks all fixed up right and knowing from the other sleds I've ridden how the suspension can feel.

Whoever did your shocks would know if they were bad. Ask them. The guy sending me his LTX shocks says his is a backbreaker and his is a standard which should be plush. Maybe his are bad also.

so from what i can understand about the suspension and shocks my new LTX LE spring order viper will have the same shocks as the LTX SE ?? just wanting to confirm thanks for all the advice,so much information all you guys have ....wow bring on the snow !!!!!!

FWIW I just sent my rear shock out to a guy in western Michigan that has been doing them a long time and I trust him.

I have a 2014 RTX SE model. He told me that the center shock was working pretty good and in his opinion it did not need revalving. He said the rear shock had very heavy compression and rebound stacks in it, but the oil and seals were still very clean.

We are going to start with him just rebuilding the rear shock to make it more plush and go from there.

so from what i can understand about the suspension and shocks my new LTX LE spring order viper will have the same shocks as the LTX SE ?? just wanting to confirm thanks for all the advice,so much information all you guys have ....wow bring on the snow !!!!!!

The one I saw shocks were the same externally. Can't promise more than that since yamaha hasn't provided valve specs. Don't worry about it since everyone's opinion of a good ride is justifiably different. You hopefully will be real happy.

Back