• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 chain case leak

hate to bring up old topic. Picked up leftover 16 ltx le last year. 290 miles. Just noticed chaincase leaking. Gotta love it.

hate to bring up old topic. Picked up leftover 16 ltx le last year. 290 miles. Just noticed chaincase leaking. Gotta love it.
Are you sure it's gear oil? Not engine oil from the tank.

My 15 never leaked until last weekend when the chain broke and took everything else with it

NA. All stock. Has 5600 miles. Probably should have gone through it better before the season started.

I had my dealer prep the the sled and he did flush the chain case this year. I have to ask him what the tension was at.

Got a chain case leak. 2016 sts dx 146. Had this cover off several time and this is the first time I had a leak and it after 1000km from the last time it was off. Seen the oil was low , just at bottom window and I had it at the top.
Nothing in the tunnel are around the drive shaft . It looks like it's from the front of case . wet from around the chain tensioner bolt area to bottom of case. But bolt it tight.
Going to take it apart. clean it up and put it back together. Have never replace gasket but don't think needed to?

Can't remember where I heard this but it seems there is an updated, thicker chain case gasket. New part is 8JP-G7558-02-00 . This should solve the case leak issues. I've had my chain case apart several times for gearing changes and was always concerned how small the gasket was in relation to the depth of the groove in the case. I have been reassembling the cases with RTV to prevent a leak which shouldn't be needed if the rubber gasket is sized correctly. Next time it's apart I'll try the new gasket.

Can't remember where I heard this but it seems there is an updated, thicker chain case gasket. New part is 8JP-G7558-02-00 . This should solve the case leak issues. I've had my chain case apart several times for gearing changes and was always concerned how small the gasket was in relation to the depth of the groove in the case. I have been reassembling the cases with RTV to prevent a leak which shouldn't be needed if the rubber gasket is sized correctly. Next time it's apart I'll try the new gasket.

Just looked it up and it seams there is a change to 8JP-G7558-02-00 from 8JP-G7558-01-00 , something to look at for sure.
From looking at the stock #'s this change happen in 2018

Just looked it up and it seams there is a change to 8JP-G7558-02-00 from 8JP-G7558-01-00 , something to look at for sure.

Now we just need someone to order up a new gasket and compare it to the original.....

Back