• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Case still Leaking

Phazer2Viper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX-DX 15,000 miles and counting!

2008 Phazer GT 128" track 10,444 miles (sold)
2008 Nytro RTX 136" 3800 miles (sold)
2000 Phazer 6500 Miles (Sold)
1990 Phazer II 10,000 miles (sold)
Well i noticed my chain case was leaking over the summer. So I took it apart and did the following
-put NEW gasket on
-inspected the case for cracks and found none
-cleaned all of the edges of the cases
-cleaned all of the bolts
-cleaned the bolt holes
-torqued to spec

After all of that it is still dripping. Any suggestions or am i missing anything else?

Well i noticed my chain case was leaking over the summer. So I took it apart and did the following
-put NEW gasket on
-inspected the case for cracks and found none
-cleaned all of the edges of the cases
-cleaned all of the bolts
-cleaned the bolt holes
-torqued to spec

After all of that it is still dripping. Any suggestions or am i missing anything else?
The chain cases/covers are made of Magnesium with the bottom of the case/cover sticking out the bottom of the side panel. If they hit anything on the trail they bend/flex easily, some leak and some don't when bent/flexed. Take a look at the bottom of your cover/case to see if it has any heavy scratches or any radii that look like they have been flatten out slightly. These are signs it has made contact with something on the trail like a frozen snowbank, ice chunk, tree stump ...
The other reason these chain cases may leak is due to the bolts being torqued down unevenly or out of sequence. These cases require all of the bolts to be torqued down in the right sequence and torque value so the cover does not flex and cause a leak

If you have not checked, give the bottom of your oil tank a good look. I had the same thing happen this summer - thinking it was the chaincase and the seal on the oil tank had weakened. Had to replace it (agian).

MS

Also, make sure it's not oil coming out of your bellypan from changing oil. I know I always spill some everytime I change oil or chaincase lube. It's definitely not easy to do basic maintenance on these sleds without making a mess.

I couldn't see this crack until I removed the gears and chains.

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 243
wow, what a bugger.
Going to replace the whole inner case or try and seal/weld it?

Did the sled get jarred from a big drop or bump?

MS

Pull the case and get a good aluminum TIG welder to fix u up.....

You can tig weld magnesium just like aluminum with the proper welding rod.

Back