• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Phazer XTX

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Phazer XTX
Hey guys new to the forum here, first post actually. I've currently been riding Yamaha two strokes for all of my riding years. Currently riding an 01 VMAX 600 Deluxe, as well as an 03 SX Viper. Recently decided it was time to make my way onto a newer sled. I ended up getting a good deal on a 2016 Phazer XTX leftover at a dealer.

Reason I chose the Phazer is mainly due to the price point package as well as Yamaha reliability. I am 23 and 160 pounds so being a light weight sled really drew my attention as well. I primarily ride a good mix of rough trails groomed and ungroomed, ditch, powerlines and creeks.

So first off I just wanted to ask what I should look out for right off the bat. If there's been any known problems with these newer phazers.

Second I just wanted to know what changes your guys would make right away before riding. I've always used studded tracks, but I only have 1" lugs on both sleds. 96 on the VMAX and 144 on the Viper. Would you guys stud the 1.5" freeride track? If so how many would you run being it is only an 80hp sled.

Next I wanted to know what kind of carbide lengths you guys are using. On my VMAX I have Woody's 4" doolys and Woody's 6" doolys on the Viper. I found the bite on the Viper was a little more than my liking. So curious what you guys would recommend on the tuner skiis.

Lastly how do these stock shocks hold up? As I've said im coming from the pro-action chassis, so I know it'll be an immediate upgrade. But is is worth upgrading as an initial mod? If so what would you guys recommend for front and rear suspension.

Even if you guys could point me in the right direction of where to look it would be greatly appreciated. I've browsed through ty4stroke for hours upon hours, and really couldn't find to to much on the XTX's.

Thank you guys I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Man you are going to have a blast on that 16' XTX coming off the older 2 strokes you have been riding. Best riding position I think of any sled made with the highest and narrowest seat. So easy to stand when it gets really rough and just fly thru it standing up. I essentially built an XTX 5 years ago with my 09' RTX. Biggest difference is that mine has a 13.5" x 1.25" track vs. your 14" x 1.5" track. I believe that Yamaha worked out most all the issues by the time the 09's hit the snow. Your 16' should be a real reliable ride. The only thing I would do before you ride is back off the spring on the front skid shock to the min setting or just so the spring doesn't rattle. I know this helped reduce the skid bucking and harsh ride with my 09' Phazer and older ones but not sure about your 16'? Hopefully the couple guys on here with XTX's will chime in on suspension settings. Other suspension adjustments a bunch of us on here have made are pulling down the limiter strap one hole over stock position and backing off on the front spring shocks to lower the front end. If it was me I wouldn't stud it. My sled with 144" x 1.25" lug track really hooks in most snow conditions and I can only imagine your 1.5" will hook up that much better. In addition studs long enough to work on a 1.5" lug track will be easy to bend let alone add a bunch of weight. Being a rider of your weight the shocks will hold up well. I have over 5,000 miles on my skid shocks without being rebuilt. I do have Floats in the front and had them rebuilt this year just as a PM. Things to consider down the road would be to clutch it. Call and talk with Alan Ulmer at Ulmer Racing. And I would put a full set of Excell 5.25" wheels in the skid. That with a low snow wheel kit at the rail bend, you will rarely have to change the hyfax. I have over 4,500 miles on the cheap hyfax and they have only wore around 1.0 mm. I added a Skiz Float Skid Plate and it really does help the front end float and not submarine so bad off trail. Other than that you cant go wrong with an HID head lamp kit. I think that's all I would do if I were you.
Just ride it! G.B.

ride it and we can advise you on where to go with what you want to achive with the sled.

not everyone has good luck with the tuners, so you might want to try your viper skis on there if you are not happy with the tuners.

I went from a sx600r to my Phazer and the ONLY thing the old 600 red head has over the Phazer is about 10-15 mph top end speed. The Phazer, especially the XTX with its low gearing and 144 freeride, is faster off the line and pulls just as hard to 70mph. The ride is great with the stock coil over shocks just don't expect them to hold up to launching off snowbanks!

Thank you all for your feedback. I think suspension setup will be first on the list, then clutching, then skis/carbides.

I was curious what your guys thoughts are in regards to floats on the Phazer.

I've found a great deal on a set of Fox Float Evol R shocks for the front. Then I was also thinking of the Fox's off Schmidt Bros, the rear Fox Zero-Pro and Fox Zero-Pro 2. If anyone has any feedback on them it would be greatly appreciated.

As far as skis go, is there any particular after market ski's you would recommend over another?

Thank you guys.

i like curves for aftermarket skis and they steer pretty well on my 09 rtx. it is getting xtx'd in off season.

for trail riding, most usually prefer the coilover shocks, like the stockers or gytr's. i am running an old set of gytr that i got for a deal that need a rebuild but still put 2300km on them this season as mine came with fox floats on the front.

Does anyone know the eye to eye length of the front shocks as well as both in the rear suspension ?

front ~16" (15.5" on MTX)
Center 13.25"
Rear 17.25-17.5"

I really prefer coil overs on the front of the Phazer, The pressure required to get the Floats working correctly don't give you any "sit in" so the front end sits kind of high.

The Evols he is looking at will allow low main pressure for ride height and the Evol will take care of the bottoming.

So I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on the Evol R's for the fronts. I am still undecided on the center and rear shocks. But I've been talking to Curt from nextech on a custom fox package to see exactly what we could get back there. Do you guys know what the mount sizing is for the center and rear shock?

Also I was curious if anyone runs doolys or slimjims on their Phazers? I know on my VMAX I loved the 4" doolys and on the Viper I didn't like the 6", as I found it was just a little to much bite. So I was thinking maybe 4" Woody's slimjims for the Phazer. Does anyone know if they will have to much bite without studding the track?

I have been running 6" Dually carbides with CA Razors on my stretched 144" Phazer and this set up rocks! This is the first time I have ever used dually carbides and I think that's all I will use from now on. Nearly eliminates darting, handles great, and wears like iron. I have nearly 4,000 miles on these carbides and I am still happy with the bite I get from them. So going with 4" or 6" will be a personal decision. G.B.

Perfect! Just what I wanted to hear!
The plan is CA Razors with Woody's 4" slimjims.
I think all what will be left is getting the clutch properly setup. I live 15 minutes away from hurricane performance, is this something they would be able to help me with, or do they primiarly just do turbo setups?

Hey guys been browsing through the forum really couldn't find to much on the suspension mount sizes. Do you guys know what the technical specs are or where I could find some info on it?

Thanks guys

Back