• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Sidewinder MTX parasitic draw, new battery already dead

I can confirm that even if main harness for cluster is disconnected, still drain the battery. It’s something else that I can’t find out at the moment. I’ll keep you informed.

Strange. I have a 2017 and 2020 and after the summer they are low but not dead. Always full charge them for the season and that’s about all I do.
Same. I make sure the battery has full charge when I put in storage. Don't unhook anything. No issues. Been doing it for years. They start right up when its time to use.

I’ve tried 2 brand new Yuasa OEM batteries and they both does the same thing.

Man this is a typical Yamaha issue Aint it?. Same as the damn hot start, no start, cold start never had a problem start on the vipers. Seems random once again. I’ve been jinxed with them all it seems. Lol!

Hello everyone,

Did some testing again today. Here is what I found :

I've unplugged the connector that goes from the stator to the voltage regulator and the Amp dropped from 30mA to 25.7mA. After that, i've unplugged the bottom black connector from the voltage regulator and the draw completely stopped.

Since I dont want to buy parts for nothing, is there a way to test the regulator or this is a clear indicator that this is the culprit ?

Waiting for your help guys,

Thanks !

Look’s like it’s the culprit. Here are my reading with my multimeter :

Positive side : 1-517, 2-0, 3-516
Negative side : 1-144, 2-144, 3-144

I don’t know what are the units of these number, but clearly the second value on the positive side is zero, there is my problem I believe !

From the manual. This is all they give to test.
A bad diode may also give a bad ac voltage reading.
Screenshot_20231112-192642_Gallery.jpg

Look’s like it’s the culprit. Here are my reading with my multimeter :

Positive side : 1-517, 2-0, 3-516
Negative side : 1-144, 2-144, 3-144

I don’t know what are the units of these number, but clearly the second value on the positive side is zero, there is my problem I believe !
You ever get this fixed? I have a 2018 with same issue. Parasitic draw on battery.

Back