• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2019s

My winder with the 245 tune this season managed 12.8 MPG to 14.8 MPG. Trail conditions make a big difference.
The 12.8 was on groomed trail with 3-5" of fluff over it. The 14.8 was last week when the trails were icy and fast. Even with 3-4 blasts on iced over lake for top end speed, and 3-4 pulls on a really nice stretch of trail for same, and still managed 14.8. Most rides are around the 13.5 MPG range. Have been riding with just 1 other guy all season, so speeds are 60-90 most of the time with exceptions to the WOT for short periods.

I call that pretty good.
Just installed a 22 top tooth gear, so I expect a bit better now.

Shall find out if weather and work permit!

People would't need to worry about mpg if we had larger fuel tanks on trail sleds .The other issue doing back pack trips is places being out of gas ,happens more than needs to .
Is the g4 tank smaller then winder? I thought I heard it was.

I dont mind talking bout other things, to keep my mind off all these issues my sled seems to have. Just looked today to see oil tank leaking, like so many others...and my primary looks to be pushed inward as i cannot get offset i want. Likely moved from belt snapping. The list keeps growing and its barely got 1000 miles. Much of it is the Cat dna, its just overwhelming unfortunately.

I dont mind talking bout other things, to keep my mind off all these issues my sled seems to have. Just looked today to see oil tank leaking, like so many others...and my primary looks to be pushed inward as i cannot get offset i want. Likely moved from belt snapping. The list keeps growing and its barely got 1000 miles. Much of it is the Cat dna, its just overwhelming unfortunately.

I agree with your CAT DNA statement. These sleds require alot of maintenance and repairs.
Certainly much faster than any stock sled that Yamaha has ever manufactured, but are no way as reliable and tough as the APEX . But still, I do enjoy this beast.

Yes I am an addicted!!

You're making some pretty big overgeneralizations. Honestly, when I bought my Sidewinder, gas mpg was never even a consideration. 200 HP bad #*$&@ and great riding sled was what I was looking at. I waited 11 years between sleds and I wanted an Apex motor with turbo in great handling chassis. This was the next best thing and I pulled the trigger.
As far as guys not caring about mpg. Sure they do, but I think most are saying that's not a big factor in the purchase. I care and pay attention every ride. I might get irritated if mine's thirsty before someone else in my group, but it wouldn't change my purchase.
And I doubt most ride like a maniac all of the time? There's a time and a place to go fast. I like wide open areas for this-fields, lakes, etc. I highly doubt many purchased a 200 HP sled to go slow in those areas or not at least on occasion. Through the woods, I like to take in the scenery. Not see how fast I can get to ther next stop.

Well for me, purchasing this through a 2017 spring surge, gas mileage had to be good and it was said to be. So I expected it.

SW =8.9 gal g4 9.5 gal

How many belts have you gone through?

Cat DNA ?
4000 miles on my cat no belts and no issues, maybe yamaha should of gone with team clutches

Sidewinder S-TX DX 146 has an auxillary fuel tank, an OEM option for 129"-137" that flows into the fuel system would be cool.

2018 SIDEWINDER S-TX DX 146

Rear Hard Case with Auxiliary Tank
You wont be caught short on a long ride with the convenient, moisture proof, hard storage case and 4 gallon auxiliary fuel tank. Total fuel capacity is bumped up to 14 gallons which goes a long ways on the trail (and your peace of mind).

Cat DNA ?
4000 miles on my cat no belts and no issues, maybe yamaha should of gone with team clutches

Yes agree. Almost went that way because of all the extras that were on the cats, but Yamaha legendary clutch and belt reliance compared to cats track record, was the deal breaker!

Glad yours is working out for you.

Back