• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

7 inch "bigscreen" GPS(Garmin 2757) on Sidewinder/Crash pad

I think Dan should thank this "Tom"; if he even exists; because by the time he gets a Winder, he'll have all the kinks & tricks worked out. Maybe this "Tom" should change his avatar to GUINEAPIG...lol...no offense "Tom"

Your a wealth of information Sir..I am installing my garmin 2557 this weekend and will just plug it into the 12 volt plug on the Sidewinder.. I ordered the charger city handlebar mount and cover from amazon.

I think Dan should thank this "Tom"; if he even exists; because by the time he gets a Winder, he'll have all the kinks & tricks worked out. Maybe this "Tom" should change his avatar to GUINEAPIG...lol...no offense "Tom"
Yeah thats sorta the deal....I get to see if I can make the winder fast, comfy and trailable, and Tom gets to buy me a few dinners...lol

So I took the ski's, shocks setup, and tune from Ben and its all been great so far. I hope a CAI coming next will help with throttle response, and will be doing some more testing this weekend in NB I hope.

I knew I wanted a turbo when Yammie finally gave us one from factory, but everyone knows I cursed the cat i had as it was common knowledge.....So being able to actually do to one, what I would do if it were my own is priceless....So far i still want one, even though I am finding several pitfalls that carry over from my old cat. But the goods are there now, and the small issues I dont think will hurt.

Tracking is a great feature. Just picked up the NUVI 2797LMT on ebay so i'm hoping it has that same option.
Been looking at GPS options for a while now and really didn't consider the in car units.

I am starting to think this Tom guy is a little guy that sits on your shoulder and convinces you to do the things you like. Ha ha !!!
I can confirm...there is in fact a Dan and there is also a Tom...they are not alter ego's or anything crazy. But ya I'd pay some $$ to see Tom sitting on Dan's shoulders.

Great job as usual boys! another detailed write-up to help the TY'ers and I'm sure there will be lots more coming. I have sidewinder envy!

Tracking is a great feature. Just picked up the NUVI 2797LMT on ebay so i'm hoping it has that same option.
Been looking at GPS options for a while now and really didn't consider the in car units.
Wow great! I have been getting many PMs from the other big thread on the 2797 from my original install last season, and everyone telling me they cannot get 2797 anymore. So when Tom wanted one I knew there was the 2757 model with same exact body and size, so it would fit the same RAM mount and have quick release from sled to take inside. But even the 2757 is hard to find now too...

Garmin does not seem to have many 7" models out currently, but the ones they DO have now do not have a RAM cradle available....so that is the issue...for sledding you need a serious RAM cradle that will keep a large GPS in place.

Once you have a Large GPS like this, going back to a normal size one that is not located on crash pad is super hard to see, but also super hard to tap on screen if its not close....

Good luck with it! There are pages and pages of info in that original thread on DT, so check it all out.

Dan

I can confirm...there is in fact a Dan and there is also a Tom...they are not alter ego's or anything crazy. But ya I'd pay some $$ to see Tom sitting on Dan's shoulders.

Great job as usual boys! another detailed write-up to help the TY'ers and I'm sure there will be lots more coming. I have sidewinder envy!
Matt....come up and ride for a weekend! Tom has a free sled, im sure you can ride the SW and Viper. We are heading to NB radars Sunday too!

Matt....come up and ride for a weekend! Tom has a free sled, im sure you can ride the SW and Viper. We are heading to NB radars Sunday too!

I will keep you posted would be awesome to log some miles like the old days. Was in Dorset on the weekend and put on 500kms with a couple buddies. Every trail was table top and made a lot of fresh tracks after the groomer had gone through...pretty much a dream riding weekend and it gave me the sled bug again! Of course first thing I did when I got back was logged on to TY to get the gospel on the SW....and kinda figured I'd find you guys here! Could have used this Garmin.....it's been awhile since I've been on a few of the trails, had to take think twice at a couple junctions!

Last edited:
I will keep you posted. Was in Dorset on the weekend and put on 500kms with a couple buddies. Every trail was table top and made a lot of fresh tracks after the groomer had gone through...pretty much a dream riding weekend and it gave me the sled bug again! Of course first thing I did when I got back was logged on to TY to get the gospel on the SW....and kinda figured I'd find you guys here! Could have used this Garmin.....it's been awhile since I've been on a few of the trails, had to take think twice at a couple junctions!
Wow, i was all over from Dorset to Haliburton for lunch and back up to dwight saturday! I was on Toms blue LE and Danos orange assault. Maybe passed us!

Matt get in touch with us by the time we hook up I will either still have the Viper you can use or I'll have my second Winder!!! Either way you got a sled to ride LETS DO THIS!!!!!
Tom , you are a lucky guy , to benefit from Dan's work / friendship .
I could use one of those garmins , but , as my name implies , I sometimes have trouble keeping the the rubber side down .
Bounced my SW off a frozen road bank , rolled it , and now found out when doing the 500 mile service , that I broke the valve assembly mount .
I have never looked under the hood , so never noticed , as there was not a noticeable scratch on the cowling .
I would be afraid of breaking the garmin when I have one of my brain cramps.
When I bought my 2015 Apex XTX , I did all the mods before I even drove it , based on my research on TY. And I love it , and still have it , although it is feeling very neglected !
With the LTX LE I didnt do any mods , and it is amazing , and can be way better with what the set up suggestions have been , but that will be for next year.
Do it over the summer , which for me will be November or December !
Even though I only have 500 miles on my sled , I feel like I have way more just by reading this forum.
By the time I catch up with all the posts for each day I am exhausted , and ready to go to bed , or my laptop battery goes dead.
I have to hook up with you and Dan , at some point , to ride and a beer .
Look forward to that .

Hey Dan, what does a lot more mean ? LOL
I,ve got a buddy who is willing to spend the money to get a good set-up, and this looks like it is.
How much in Cdn dollars ?

Its alot more up here, best pricing is usually GPScity.ca and fast too...I got my own at home NY though under 200us.

Dan

And I thought a 5" was a huge improvement. Well done Sir! ;)!

Back