• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Am I missing something? took the new sidewinder for a test drive

I haven't rode one yet, but after riding a friend's XF1100 turbo, I may be switching over. I've heard the SW ride is not impressive out of the box. Spending that kind of money and having to dump more into just to get the ride you want? I've seen little complaints about the TC. I've got 2 Apexs and a Phazer. I think Yamys are great. Guess the best I could do is stick with a sled with a yamy powerplant.

I haven't rode one yet, but after riding a friend's XF1100 turbo, I may be switching over. I've heard the SW ride is not impressive out of the box. Spending that kind of money and having to dump more into just to get the ride you want? I've seen little complaints about the TC. I've got 2 Apexs and a Phazer. I think Yamys are great. Guess the best I could do is stick with a sled with a yamy powerplant.
Ah, just so you know the Cat dna is most of the problem. The dash and handle bar controls are theirs. $ to make it ride good? Adjusting suspension costs $0. You don't Need studs or aftermarket skis. Those are accessories to make it great instead of good. The tcat doesn’t come with studs either or suspension dialed in to your individual liking. It also has the same handle bar controls. What it does have is better skis. You can't go wrong with either and both are better than an 1100 T, which stock for stock will get spanked by a Tcat or SW.

Remember the cat has $200 belts..

forgot to mention the Yamaha on site tech guy said you should take all sidewinders into the dealer for the first chain case oil change. I said how come? I usually do all my own maintenance. He said the procedure is complicated and if you dont use a special tool and do it in the correct order, you will damage the turbo charger. He said ask your dealer if you can watch the service tech do the procedure, so you can learn how to do it. Sorry but I dont know of any dealer that will let customers into the service bay area to watch them do service.
This is BS. Just did my oil and chainu case change. Worst part of it is the damn chain case. Sounds to me like a STEALER again. Ooooops, I mean DEALER. My bad, I see now it was a tech guy.

The sw is super impressive out of the box. I spent money hand over fist on my turbo viper and the sw smoked it stock.

You know at first I was disappointed with the handling of my stock SW LTX-LE when I first rode it. After some minor suspension tweaks and adding Pilot 6.9 ski's it is fantastic now. Easy and predictable steering. I'm not studded and it hooks up really well with blocks out and absolutely rails in the twisties now. I love this thing. When you are cruising at 60-70mph and grab a mit full of throttle and it pulls and pulls and pulls you cant stop grinning in your helmet. Ya, its heavy no doubt but the power is so intoxicating it more than compensates. Its just a frickin rocket, plain and simple. The marbles in a tin can primary is an easy fix with some spacers. You cant have a reliable 200 hp sled running on pump gas from some roadside whistle stop and not pay the 4S weight penalty.

I know I haven't posted in awhile! And like most said your definitely entitled to your own opinion... With that being said, every sled out there has to be adjusted to your style of riding. We all don't weigh the same and even if some do we don't all ride the same either! Like Tom said ride mine and you will change your mind! I'm not upset with the rollers, easy cheap fix? Change to the 8DN belt and the rollers are free... Saying the 8 and is cheaper... Mine steers very light for the weight. But we all get used to the weight of the sled and it feels like it's light to me. I also have a Polaris Axys Pro X Switchback same thing you have to adjust for your weight and riding style. On the Sidewinder once you take the time to adjust its well worth it! I love this sled and I like riding it more than any sled I have! It's fast although mine isn't stock. The shocks are awesome and it trail rides awesome and even off trail it's really good, but you do feel the weight there. IMO this is a awesome sled!!

You can spend about 45 minutes on initial setup and have the handling/feel significantly better than how it comes out of the box. There are some sleds with clutching & belt issues, and a few areas where accounting decisions clearly won out over engineering decisions. Overall, and especially for a first year model, I'm very happy with this package and consider it a significant improvement over the Delta box platform. The seat heat works well on both high and low, and the bar/thumb warmers are much better than an Apex. I've done over 200 mile days on my LTX LE and haven't missed power steering at all. Granted the skis are garbage, but that's hardly anything new for a Yamaha.

Once I got it dialed in none of my friends at 850's or Polaris could touch me. I set up the suspension for me I run C&A razor skis with 9 inch shaper bars 96 studs which still isn't enough and nobody can catch me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks everyone for the positive input. just curious is there no throttle override system on this sled? looks like another sidewinder took off on the mountain sidewinder forum.

thanks everyone for the positive input. just curious is there no throttle override system on this sled? looks like another sidewinder took off on the mountain sidewinder forum.
There is a TORS on the Sidewinder.

Test ride another sled and find one you like. Or, like stated. Good for you! Saved yourself a ton of coinage.

Keep riding.......

Every sled needs to be adjusted to weight and specific riding style. My wife's 16 600 Pro R PoPo is adjusted for her 120lb weight and it absolutely is a joy to ride for her. Most of the boys can't keep up on the tight trails when she wicks it up. It only has 4 inch shapers and shocks and springs set to min with shock added in for very rough trails. Put my 230lb+ #*$&@ on it and it bottoms and wants to push in the corners. My 2013 Nytro XTX is set up for me and is working real well. Put my wife on it and not so much. Two years ago I rode a Viper at a demo day that my dealer had and hated it. It darted bad and rode like a truck but we took it into his shop and made it feel 100 percent better just by making a few adjustments. I will be in the market for a SW soon and know it will be a great sled for me when I adjust it. My only question is 129 or 137?

Back