• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any one tow with a 2.7L EcoBoost F150?

I considered the 2.7 as it gets excellent reviews power wise . I ended up with a Silverado 1500 left over with the 5.3 and 3.08 rear end which isn't the best tow gears at all . However it pulls a 12 ft clam no problem gets 13.5 mpg running at 73mph on the cruise control. Not towing my best has been 23.2 MPG on a 90 mile highway run at 70 with a tail wind. It has cylinder deactivation and that helps. Was able to get $14k off a leftover with midlevel equipment , no such deal on a Ford.

glad you like yours. i have a 2010 1500 with the 5.3 and 3.08 and i know what you mean on it sucks towing a trailer. mine is fine with the boat but with the 25' enclosed v nose on the back, i am lucky to get 6-8 mpg according to my bullydog tuner/gauge.

I have the 3.5 Eco and it pulls amazing for its size. Mine is even a 2wd- 2 place steel open @ 70ish got 13 or so. Keeping your foot out of it helps a lot on fuel economy IMO on these E/Boosts. Our last trip to Muni we used a Denali 1500 with the 6.2 pulling a 2 place inline with a SR Viper, my old Nytro and a Doo 1200. We got a whopping 7 mpg average lol.

They finally got around to fixing the #1 issue with ecoboost, actually ALL direct injection engines, carbon buildup. The next gen 3.5l has a second set of injectors the spray under certain conditions to keep the valve stems/ports clear of carbon build up. co-worker bought a 2.7l 6 speed last year to replace his 11' 5.0l and says he's getting exactly 1 mpg better mileage now but worse while towing and power is very similar with the 2.7 pulling harder 0-30 and the 5.0l was stronger up top. I'm plenty happy with my 12' 5.0l 4x4 and mileage is better than what the door sticker said. 19.3 mpg round trip @ 75mph from Northern Minnesota to Disney World and back. Right at 15 mpg with 3 sleds on my 18x8 open deck trailer out to Marquette and back @ 60 , and 11-12 pulling my Camper or Pontoon.

I just picked up a 2017 F150 Super Crew 4x4 2.7 ecoboost with the 6 speed. It has the electronic locking diff and the trailer backup feature, have not tried it yet, however looking forward to see how well it does. I came out of my 5.4 F150 with just under 200k and it is an amazing upgrade so far. Between the 7k I got for my old truck and 10k off in rebates and A-plan it was a no brainer to make the upgrade. Only have 1k miles on it so far and so far at 21.9 mpg. Do not tow often, with sleds in garage at the cabin up north, however still planning a few UP trips so looking forward to doing some towing with this amazing truck.

Last edited:
you wont be disappointed, I never liked the 5.4 was always a gas hog and did not make the power Ford claimed IMHO. The 2.7 will pull just fine .That would have been what I bought but the chevy dealer got me a killer deal on a silverado and I'm not brand loyal.

I just picked up a 2017 F150 Super Crew 4x4 2.7 ecoboost with the 6 speed. It has the electronic locking diff and the trailer backup feature, have not tried it yet, however looking forward to see how well it does. I came out of my 5.4 F150 with just under 200k and it is an amazing upgrade so far. Between the 7k I got for my old truck and 10k off in rebates and A-plan it was a no brainer to make the upgrade. Only have 1k miles on it so far and so far at 21.9 mpg. Do not tow often, with sleds in garage at the cabin up north, however still planning a few UP trips so looking forward to doing some towing with this amazing truck.
You will really like it. I have the 3.5 eco and its the best truck I have ever owned. A guy I work with has the 2.7 eco and he pulls his 20ft boat every weekend and he really likes it. Ford has it nailed with these engines. I don't think I will ever own a V8 again.

Back