• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any Reviews on Hyfax Saver front wheel kit for Nytro FX RTX

garcenw

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro RTX
If you installed the Schmidt Brothers front wheel kit on a Nytro FX RTX, how did it work out for you? Did you have any issues with mounting or in actual use? They use a large wheel (4.34 inch diameter) which is larger than the wheel in the Yamaha kit, but the kit requires drilling of the rail. In any event, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

- Walt

I've been using the Schmidt Brothers Motorsports "Hyfax Saver Front Wheels" on my FX Nytro RTX SE for nearly 4 years or so without any issues. You can see from my pictured skid that since I installed Ohlins front and rear shocks, I needed to add additional wheels. These wheels have helped reduce hyfax wear. They have withheld and stood to all types of riding conditions. I also installed some of his other wheels as well. Chris Schmidt makes good products and delivers exceptional customer service.
Nytro Skid.jpg

nor`easter,

Great pic. Because of the bigger wheels, the Schmidt kit is the way I'm leaning. Does the kit provide template or dimensions for drilling?

Yes, Chris provides written directions on how to install his products. I was able to call and speak with him directly on any additional installation questions that I had.

nor'easter,

Your rail looks pristine, was that when new or did you refurbish it to a factory finish?

Thank you for your observation. I do my best to take good care of my snowmobile. Since I have to trailer my snowmobile after each ride, I take it to the car wash and use a hand held hose and clean my suspension after every single ride. This immediately cleans off all of the ice and any dirt. Also, two years ago, I removed my skid and cleaned each wheel bearing with brake cleaner and high pressure air hose. Grizztracks advised me how to carefully remove the seal from each wheel. The air blew out the old grease and each wheel bearing was in good condition. I then re-greased each wheel bearing and re-installed the seal . I also completely removed the two upper brackets and spray painted each in flat black, and I installed those white track clips that have the two bolts. The white track clips get worn down over time and the edges become flat. Grizztracks installed the 128" rail extension kit that can be seen in the pictures. Below is another picture of my skid that shows that I added the Schmidt Brothers Motorsports fourth wheel kit.
20161022_150331.jpg

I had some of the smaller wheels up front for a little while, I believe they were some sort of OEM hyfax wear solution. They didn't last long before the bearings seized up...

I ordered the Schmidt front wheel kit today. It should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll install it this weekend.

Yep. I have red Loctite ready to go.

Has anyone tried using lockwashers?

Red Loctite the main mounting bolt that attaches the block to the rail. But blue is fine for the bolt that holds the wheel (bearing) onto the block. This bolt will need to come off regularly to service the bearing so don't make it tough on yourself.

No need for lock washers. I have ran mine for thousands of kms with no issues. Keep the little wheels greased and they will last no problem.
MS

Yes, Chris provides written directions on how to install his products. I was able to call and speak with him directly on any additional installation questions that I had.

What's the difference between the Yamaha small wheel kit & the Schmidt brothers front wheel kit. What is the price on Schmidt's front wheel kit.

What is nice about lock washers is that their lower stiffness and high deflection (relative to the bolt) maintains some semblance of clamp load if you get into some of the various bolted joint failure modes (brinelling, exceeding clamp load, etc.).

No need for lock washers. I have ran mine for thousands of kms with no issues. Keep the little wheels greased and they will last no problem.
I got the kit today and Chris includes helical lock washers. Per the directions, you still need to use thread locking compound

What's the difference between the Yamaha small wheel kit & the Schmidt brothers front wheel kit. What is the price on Schmidt's front wheel kit.
I don't know for sure, but the wheels look a little bigger in diameter. I didn't measure them, but Chris said they are 4.34 inches/110 mm in diameter. He also indicated his bearings are 3 mm wider than the Yamaha bearing.

He charges $109 for the kit. With shipping it came to $122.94.

Back