• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody wear prescription glasses while riding?

http://www.nofogusa.com/Breath%20Fog.htm

There are two types of fogging. Either your breath or your sweat. The electric shield should handle the sweat and the NoFog should handle the breath.

I would say most people with glasses and have a fogging of the mask issue are having breath fog issues. Make sure your vents are open and you are getting air flow in the helmet for body heat.

The BVS2 helmet does a good job with getting rid of breath fog. Sounds like you may need to solve the sweat issue. Maybe put a spray or something on the visor.

GeorgianBayGuy said:
Good topic. I wear glasses and contacts depending on my situation. If I am going out of the office environment I opt for contacts as wearing (good) sunglasses, especially on the water and driving west into the setting sun, is plain smart. Sledding with contacts is just easier.

Tip one, discovered on 2 motorcycle trips to Viet Nam, is to get disposable contact lenses. They are relatively cheap, always perfect, clean and hygienic. You don't have to carry the case and fluids either. I will never go back to re-usable ones. Ask your eye person for some trial pairs.

Second tip. If you have a big difference in correction eye to eye (mine -5 and -1.75) and are staring to need bifocals, look into Mono Vision. Basically it corrects one (your dominant) eye for distance and the other at a slightly less strength (my -5 is corrected to -3) for close up. Somehow the brain can figure it out and for some it is fantastic. Anyway ask the eye guy and look it up on google. Works fantastic for me.
This is what I have, two different lenses so I can see far and up close. When I hit my mid 40's I went from being nearsited to blind lol. I also use disposable lenses so there is ZERO maintenance, wear for awhile then throw away and grab fresh pair. Something to note on figuring out your dominate eye, eye doc says your dominate eye is opposite of your dominate hand you use. So me being right handed I wore the close up lense in my left eye, could not see $hit. Swapped the lenses and WOW I can see distance and menus at the rest stops.
:-o :4STroke: :yam: :rocks:

Indy said:
so you dont wear a baclava? I think it is just my big noggin. Even with the shield cracked open, I still fog while wearing a baclava over my nose and mouth, could that be the problem?

I know, I could use a swimmers nose clip, and a piece of tubbing that would run from my mouth to the back side and out the bottom of helmet.

IMHO, yes that is a big part of the problem.
I have problems with all of the breath boxes or deflectors. They don't seal well enough against my face (I have beard and mustache) and hot moist air leaks up behind the glasses and fog so fast they are useless.

The only thing that works for me.
1) Full face helmet w/ heated shield
2) balaclava (windstopper klim), do not cover your nose.
3) put glasses on and helmet on inside so the glass doesn't get cold.
4) OPEN shield while stopped
5) direct your exhales from your mouth down.
6) crack shield while moving. Get your face, glasses, inside of helmet all the same temp and then you can ride with he shield closed.
7) helmet vents open, a little airflow keeps things clear.

Glasses are a pain. If I'm working hard it is very easy to overheat the system..

After a few years of glasses fogging I finally decided to try the Mod2.

Did @80 miles the other day with temps from -3F to 5F.

Only time my glasses fogged up was when we stopped. While riding they never fogged. I am completely happy with this purchase. Before I used to fight with fogging for the first 30 minutes riding and on and off throught the day.

Riding shield closed - no fog
Stopped shield closed - fog
Stopped shield open - no fog

Once we started riding again, I only cracked it a bit till fog gone, then closed the shield again and was able to keep it closed. I even forgot to plug the shield in once and it never fogged. You could probably ride without a heated shield.

Back