• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Completely Dead

Mikematt

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Apex
When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens. No lights, no fuel pump priming, nothing. Worked fine yesterday, all fuses in the fuse box seen fine, battery has a charge, and jumping it with another battery had no effect.

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas!

Couple of things to look for.
Bad ign switch. Have seen one that was burnt inside the plastic connector.
Badly corroded connector at the main relay beside the battery.
Blown main fuse beside the battery. Its a green square 40 amp fuse.

Couple of things to look for.
Bad ign switch. Have seen one that was burnt inside the plastic connector.
Badly corroded connector at the main relay beside the battery.
Blown main fuse beside the battery. Its a green square 40 amp fuse.

Here's a question, with the key in the on position, but the kill switch off, does anything on the instrument cluster come on? Or does everything turn on only once the killswitch is turned on?

40amp main fuse is fine.

With the red button on the right handle in the Down position, you get nothing, no lights, no cycling, nothing.

That's helpful, I'll take the killswitch apart first and try to hot wire it.

Killswitch was not the issue. No response from hotwiring it and no electricity detected on any of the wires leading to it either.

Did you recently have the headlight off sled. I forgot to hook up key once when I had it all apart took me a bit to figure out did all checks as Steiner said and went to check for power by key switch found not hooked up.

A friend of mine had same problem so to speak. Sled just died up north on trail. Got it going again, went back cabin. It sat rest of weekend. Got back home, I was messing with it, checking things and wiggled this plug, it suddenly had power. After snipping tie strap on it, it was TIGHT, after straightening wires out, it has been fine since.
20180206_143142.jpg

Here's a question, with the key in the on position, but the kill switch off, does anything on the instrument cluster come on? Or does everything turn on only once the killswitch is turned on?

40amp main fuse is fine.
With the kill switch on everything is dead on my Apex. Kill switch off, the cluster lights up and sweeps the tach. If you ruled out kill switch, how are you testing the battery? Shorted battery, blown main fuse etc. BTW I tell my wife never use the kill switch unless an emergency, shut off the ignition key. If the kill switch fails on the trail, you are hosed. :o|

Kill switch is a normally closed circuit. If it fails you can jump the two wires together on the trail to get yourself home. Been dare, dun dat.....

Check power at main fuse (not just fuse continuity), power at ignition fuse (in the fuse box) and on both sides to eliminate corroded contacts, and with that out of the way you should have power at the ignition switch (R/Y on my schematic). You should be able to jumper power to the other side of the ignition switch or check for power on the other side (Br on my schematic), and the only other thing in the way of power getting to starter is the kill switch and the starter relay. Or turn the key to on and check for power on Br and if it is there, its not the run part of the switch. Since you get nothing with the key on, you either have a bad switch, bad connection, bad fuse, bad wiring, or a bad ground.

Check power at main fuse (not just fuse continuity), power at ignition fuse (in the fuse box) and on both sides to eliminate corroded contacts, and with that out of the way you should have power at the ignition switch (R/Y on my schematic). You should be able to jumper power to the other side of the ignition switch or check for power on the other side (Br on my schematic), and the only other thing in the way of power getting to starter is the kill switch and the starter relay. Or turn the key to on and check for power on Br and if it is there, its not the run part of the switch. Since you get nothing with the key on, you either have a bad switch, bad connection, bad fuse, bad wiring, or a bad ground.[/

Thank you everyone for the input. The issue was a faulty tether switch. After checking everything I pulled the killswitch apart as well as the tether and the tether was broken inside.

Back