• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex not running right

I have never had a light come on or codes show up on my dash even when I was pulling plug wires to check coils..I always have to go into diagnostics to see what was there..

Last edited:

It seems strange that you are not getting any known codes, I would take terminal wires off your battery and then reconnect. Like doing a reboot for your codes. then see if you can get a code by taking off the oil plug or air box plug. Other then that it does sound like water in your gas.

Seems like a big stretch with only 2600mi or so on it...valve adjustment? I'm at a loss too.If you have put in new plugs, new gas, and all else is working, only thing I can think of why it would be off would be valve adjustment.

In reference to my above post, you said plugs looked fine, but did you replace em anyway? If not, try new ones.

code 84 is TORS, is your throttle cable to tight?

Just came in from working on it again tonight. Took it all the way down to the battery unhooked it let it set for a good 15-20 minutes, totally drained the gas tank empty. checked all the wiring and connections down in the battery compartment couldn't find anything that look bad. Put it back together good enough to start. Put some new dry gas in it , started a machine until it ran out of gas, put some brand new fresh gas in it and started it backup.. decided to try see if it will throw the caution light. Unplugged the oil sensor no caution light. Held the t o r s and squeeze the throttle and code 84 came on with the yellow caution it'. Released it and caution light went off but still nothing for the oil sensor.

The new intake temperature sensor will be in tomorrow so I'm at the dealer I'm going to see if they will give me any ideas but they probably won't. But I will at least try the new sensor and see if it changes anything. We have a big snow storm coming in tomorrow with 8 + inches of snow and I just love to go for a ride. LOL probably going to have to pull out the good old back up viper. LOL

Yes I did put a brand new set of plugs in it. And I have enough play in a throttle cable so it is not too tight..I can't thank you guys enough for all the suggestions cuz I'm beating my brains out on this thing.

Goody_1000 I'd have a hard time believing that it did something to the valves not saying that it couldn't but just because of the way that it changed running for me in very cold temperatures.. is there such a thing out there as a scanner to put on these machines to see if it has something else going on that the ECU is not showing.

Something else I just noticed is I seem to be having a lot of moisture in my air box which would explain why I had so much ice in the foam air filter on the day it started running like this, and it's not antifreeze also a lot of moisture in the tube from crank case, is this normal or a sign of something wrong???
I just shook the foam cleaner and my hand was soaked and the sled has only ran in my shop...

sounds like there is a lot of condensation in the motor. how does the oil look from the bottom of the tank? i have had water in the 2011 like that but i was powder riding in very puffy/light snow the entire day. i dried the sled out overnight in the garage with airbox lid off and then rode it 100+ miles on trail only the next day. still thinking about getting an outerwears for the intake on both apex's to prevent this.

The new intake temperature sensor will be in tomorrow so I'm at the dealer I'm going to see if they will give me any ideas but they probably won't. But I will at least try the new sensor and see if it changes anything. We have a big snow storm coming in tomorrow with 8 + inches of snow and I just love to go for a ride. LOL probably going to have to pull out the good old back up viper. LOL
I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the intake temp sensor unless it has been physically damaged. Why not just check it through diagnostics?

Goody_1000 I'd have a hard time believing that it did something to the valves not saying that it couldn't but just because of the way that it changed running for me in very cold temperatures.. is there such a thing out there as a scanner to put on these machines to see if it has something else going on that the ECU is not showing.
There are no scanners. Everything is built in to the dash/ecm.

Just came in from working on it again tonight. Took it all the way down to the battery unhooked it let it set for a good 15-20 minutes, totally drained the gas tank empty. checked all the wiring and connections down in the battery compartment couldn't find anything that look bad. Put it back together good enough to start. Put some new dry gas in it , started a machine until it ran out of gas, put some brand new fresh gas in it and started it backup.. decided to try see if it will throw the caution light. Unplugged the oil sensor no caution light. Held the t o r s and squeeze the throttle and code 84 came on with the yellow caution it'. Released it and caution light went off but still nothing for the oil sensor.
The low oil sensor works different. It is an on/off switch, so don't expect it to throw a code when its unplugged.

Back