• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex weight loss (yes I did search first)

I don't think I'd be able to run carbon fiber a-arms for the riding I do. I often bust through willow and alder trees and I can't see the carbon fiber a-arms holding up to that. Seems like the scratches they'd receive from normal trail and mountain riding would compromise their strength too much. Maybe I'd wrong?

3 years of trails in Northern Alberta and mountains in Chetwyn BC and no problems. Broke the right side one time. Hit a huge rock, sled flipped right in air and landed upside down. The only damage was splintered A arms on right side, they held out enough to get back up the river hills and to the pickup. Got a new set 3 days later and was gone again. I was with. 3 other ridres that day and we were all sure I would of bent the bulkhead or worse if they would have been the stock steel ones. $700.00 and I was on my way.

The power difference on the Apex over the Nytro is significant.

There is a fair bit of weight to be taken out of the front as well

Gen 2 Simmons are a must in my opinion if you cut the back half on the
outside of the ski than it carves effortless

I took the hood and all mounting stuff of and put a mountain mod cover on it.

Bark buster frond end and Holz Alpha X in the Back

I am only about 70 pounds lighter than stock because I have a Board rack with heat-shield and stock exhaust on the back for sled skiing.

For non turbo applications the holz skid is superb it transfers the weight perfect. But without a Yamaha specific kit you will have to do your own setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0993_2.jpg
    IMG_0993_2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0999_2.jpg
    IMG_0999_2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 135
The Holt skid looks really light. My buddy loves to sled ski and I've been telling him an Apex would be a much better sled for what he does compared to his unreliable Dragon RMK 800.

That got me thinking about Apexs but the weight and ergos cause me concern. I ride in the mountains with my 136 Vector and can keep up with everyone, mostly because I'm a better rider than they are. But, I work my butt off and know I'm often at the limits of my sled's capability and they are not even close to running out of power or track with their 2-stroke mountain sleds.

I keep thinking a lightened up Apex with a super long track would be a really nice sled to have for the mountains. I'm thinkingn it would feel more balenced than a rider forward two stroke since an XP or Dragon with a 150"-160"+ track looks like a school bus and the rider is all the way on the nose of the sled. When I rode a buddy's XP I was surprised by how much the front end dived when you let off the throttle. I was also surprised by the vibration, but that sled was effortless to ride in powder and to climb with. On that ride my Vector couldn't make the last climb but it didn't
matter because a Polaris had mechanical problems and couldn't make it either. The snow was about 2.5 feet deep wind blown powder. I know I needed deeper paddles and a longer track but I don't often ride in those conditions because I'm very cautious about avalanches.

I'm going out to dubois in 3 days for a week and I weigh 130 I just bought my sled so ill let you know what I think of it. Mines probably 35lbs lighter with an ez ryde gutted exhaust and foam taken out of the seat.

unreal said:
3 years of trails in Northern Alberta and mountains in Chetwyn BC and no problems. Broke the right side one time. Hit a huge rock, sled flipped right in air and landed upside down. The only damage was splintered A arms on right side, they held out enough to get back up the river hills and to the pickup. Got a new set 3 days later and was gone again. I was with. 3 other ridres that day and we were all sure I would of bent the bulkhead or worse if they would have been the stock steel ones. $700.00 and I was on my way.

Sounds like no issues with scratches causing cracks? The collision aspect is interesting. I just keep thinking of how beat up a-arms get when running through brush and that they wouldn't stand up to wear and tear as well as metal a-arms.

AKrider said:
The Holt skid looks really light. My buddy loves to sled ski and I've been telling him an Apex would be a much better sled for what he does compared to his unreliable Dragon RMK 800.

That got me thinking about Apexs but the weight and ergos cause me concern. I ride in the mountains with my 136 Vector and can keep up with everyone, mostly because I'm a better rider than they are. But, I work my butt off and know I'm often at the limits of my sled's capability and they are not even close to running out of power or track with their 2-stroke mountain sleds.

I keep thinking a lightened up Apex with a super long track would be a really nice sled to have for the mountains. I'm thinkingn it would feel more balenced than a rider forward two stroke since an XP or Dragon with a 150"-160"+ track looks like a school bus and the rider is all the way on the nose of the sled. When I rode a buddy's XP I was surprised by how much the front end dived when you let off the throttle. I was also surprised by the vibration, but that sled was effortless to ride in powder and to climb with. On that ride my Vector couldn't make the last climb but it didn't
matter because a Polaris had mechanical problems and couldn't make it either. The snow was about 2.5 feet deep wind blown powder. I know I needed deeper paddles and a longer track but I don't often ride in those conditions because I'm very cautious about avalanches.

There is a world of difference from the Vector to the Apex-- (Power)

Stick with the 162 --(do not go longer it becomes a truck ) a 15 wide challenger extreme works super well and improves handling over the 16 wide . (I use a 156 by 15 with 2.5 inch paddles) Traction is significantly better than the stock track.

All in all the Apex is a super well balanced sled for sled skiing and lots of fun to compete with the 800class 2 strokes once you did a few mods to it .
If I get beat by a stock 2 stroke the guy is either a lot lighter or did a better job riding .
The best part about the Ape is I don't worry about having it on the pin for a 3 mile climb with 2 guys on board.

DOH! I can't believe I didn't see that. THANKS

And wow, what an amazing 1000th post I created. ;):D

powder muncher said:
The power difference on the Apex over the Nytro is significant.

There is a fair bit of weight to be taken out of the front as well

Gen 2 Simmons are a must in my opinion if you cut the back half on the
outside of the ski than it carves effortless

I took the hood and all mounting stuff of and put a mountain mod cover on it.

Bark buster frond end and Holz Alpha X in the Back

I am only about 70 pounds lighter than stock because I have a Board rack with heat-shield and stock exhaust on the back for sled skiing.

For non turbo applications the holz skid is superb it transfers the weight perfect. But without a Yamaha specific kit you will have to do your own setup.

Can you post some pics of what you've cut on the Simmons?

Back