• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are ECUs interchangeable?

frogger1655

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper XTX
I have a 2014 Viper XTX that probably needs a new ecu (according to dealer). Problem is that the OEM part for that year is $1700! All later years Vipers have ecu units that cost less than $500.00, so I'm wondering if I can use one of the later year ecu's, since its the same engine and all? From what I can see on eBay listings the part numbers printed on the ecu are the same from year to year and they look identical, but the Yamaha part numbers are different each year. I'm guessing that they are just programmed differently? Anyone know if I can use a newer year ecu on my 2014 sled? I really don't want to spend $1700 on an ecu!

I have a 2014 Viper XTX that probably needs a new ecu (according to dealer). Problem is that the OEM part for that year is $1700! All later years Vipers have ecu units that cost less than $500.00, so I'm wondering if I can use one of the later year ecu's, since its the same engine and all? From what I can see on eBay listings the part numbers printed on the ecu are the same from year to year and they look identical, but the Yamaha part numbers are different each year. I'm guessing that they are just programmed differently? Anyone know if I can use a newer year ecu on my 2014 sled? I really don't want to spend $1700 on an ecu!
I would contact Barn of Parts. Chances are pretty good that he'll have a good used one. Good guy to deal with as well.

Back