• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are people really this stupid...

rxscot

I found this ad on Craigslist;

Two 2007 & 2005 Yamaha RS Venture GT & RS Venture $2800
Features
Engine size (cc): 1000
Engine type: 4-Stroke
Type: Touring
Electric start: Yes
Reverse gear: Yes
You are looking a 2005 Red Yamaha RS Venture with 1300 miles in excellent condition with tank bag and saddle bags. Also, a 2007 Black Yamaha RS Venture GT with 900 miles in excellent condition with tank bag. To haul these great sleds is a 2006 Triton 12' Enclosed trailer.

So I thought "Maybe someone really has no clue what they have and they actually want $2800 each" So I shot a message over saying how much for the GT only.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my snowmobiles & trailer. The snowmobiles (as well as the trailer) are in perfect condition - like new! If you decide to buy them, you'll receive all the papers, owner manuals, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear titles. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the snowmobiles. ONLY AFTER you receive the snowmobiles and you inspect them (you have 5 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the snowmobiles at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the snowmobiles before you decide to buy them. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the snowmobiles before buying them.
The 2 snowmobiles are priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $2,800 including shipping and handling costs. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and move to my sister. I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so i'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the snowmobiles & trailer please reply to this email and i will provide further instructions regarding payment and delivery.

I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!

Emilie Garman

So now we know it's a SCAM, but just for kicks my wife sent this;

Hi Emilie,
I'm very interested.
Is there an address that I can come by and at least see them for myself? I can meet pretty much anytime, so taking time off work shouldn't be an issue.

I have to let you know that i listed all over US because shipping is included in the price.
The snowmobiles & trailer are at eBay's shipping center in New York, NY and from there it will be shipped to my buyer's address. The snowmobiles & trailer have been listed for sale in an auction on eBay but I have removed the add because of some 'serious' buyers . They promissed they will buy the snowmobiles from me but they proved not to have the money to pay for it .I have registered the snowmobiles & trailer with eBay's Vehicle Protection Program and they work only with das auto shippers, so a local pick-up is not an option.This transaction is covered by ebay's purchase protection program up to $50,000 and if something goes wrong in this transaction you will be fully refunded. In the invoice you will have the details on how to make a refundable payment and shipping back the snowmobiles will be my concern. I strongly assure you it will not be the case for a refund. I have used the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully. You pay to eBay and they will transfer the funds to me only after you get the snowmobiles & trailer.
The financial part of our transaction is going through eBay's Purchase Protection Program and here are the steps:
- I need your full name, shipping address and phone#;
- I will forward this information to eBay's purchase protection department and they will start our transaction;
- eBay sends you the invoice with payment details for our transaction;
- PayPal can't be used in this transaction because it only covers $ 2000. You will receive instructions to pay through another payment system;
- after they secure the payment, they will notify me and I will start shipping. Shipping will take no more than 5 days (2 days to prepare the shipping and 3 days for the shipping depending on your location).
- after you receive the snowmobiles & trailer you will have another 5 days to inspect it.
- when the inspection period ends, eBay contacts you and if there are any issues with the snowmobiles & trailer, they will fully refund you within 3 business days and the snowmobiles & trailer will be shipped back at my expense. If all is good with the snowmobiles, which I'm sure it will be, they will assist you with the title transfer and release the payment to me.
I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure that everything is clarified before any further steps. I'm a serious seller and I prefer to deal with a serious buyer.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

:crap: But still entertaining. Except for the part "My husband died in Iraq" part. This person needs a beating for trying to use that to suck people in.

So, she says that you can not even go to Ebays facility to look at them? does she even have pics.? lol.... Who knows maybe they will find a sucker! maybe the add should be reported to help prevent anyone from getting suckered? Thanks for sharing with us!

What people will do for a buck. If they would put the same effort into getting a JOB! They wouldn't have to scam people. I agree the Iraq puts this into a beating level offense.

in some cases there is more than online chatter..be careful..

I found 5 other instances of the same ad on Craiglist in other parts of the country and flagged all of them. She/he or whatever did include pics, but when I tried to cut/paste them from the message I had a strange pop-up window that asked for permission. I don't know if it's possible to embed a virus in a pic but just in case I didn't do it.

Here's the link to the Detroit craiglist ad. It might still be up.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/2060099611.html

unfortunately if people weren't this stupid these scumbags wouldn't bother with these scams. the ironic thing is that the vast majority of them aren't even clever enough to price their scams more realistically so they're not so blatant. the dead giveaway is the bold colored font gmail address which has been used in just about every one i've ever seen.

the gene pool is in serious need of chlorine :die

jamesc said:
unfortunately if people weren't this stupid these scumbags wouldn't bother with these scams. the ironic thing is that the vast majority of them aren't even clever enough to price their scams more realistically so they're not so blatant. the dead giveaway is the bold colored font gmail address which has been in used in just about every one i've ever seen.

the gene pool is in serious need of chlorine :die

We see these scams quite abit up here as well, mostly on kijiji and Auto Trader on line.
Kijiji is getting much better though but they still exist.

The dead give away is obviously the prices but you never ever see a phone number with them either.

The thing is these ads keep popping up so it is obvious these scammers are still fooling people and making money ;):D

Scam all the way. Very common to see these. People have to be stupid to even open the ad up. Flag on sight.

I came across this scam using bogus E-bay invoices quite often while searching for NFL football tickets this year.

I'd like to get these people behind a woodshed with a good hanker of oak in my hand...........

We have so many of these exact same scams here in Canada. You can't even properly look through the Trader or Kijiji because every 5th vehicle is such a great deal! I've tried so many times to get one of these a$$hole's phone numbers or address. I would personally love to sell one of these scum bags a couple fists to the face.

Back