• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Asphalt Results 2017

Yamaha Nutz

Country
USA
Figured i would start this off with our first run last Friday (june 2nd) after reading up on stuff from the past from NOSPRO and others i was pretty happy with the first night and i am hooked now. not to get the clutching and carbs figured out on the 03 RX-1.... things have been pretty busy in the shop and my racing partner and i never had a chance to get any testing in aside from a few blasts up and down the road so with that said i was happy with the first ever passes on the sled.... the sportsman tree took a few runs to get use to as i have never ran on anything but a pro tree sled launched straight with 1 maybe 2'' of lift of the skis and skid set up worked well so first pass was as follows
RT .431 60ft 1.716 1/8 7.434 @90.23 mph 1/4 11.954 @105.77
best run of the night
11.909 @108.04

hope to get down next week for some testing and see how the changes have worked with a little help from Jeff Simmon, carbs are figured out and the sled had great response, now to work with the clutching ...been trying a few set ups with yamaha weights but really need to get to the track and see what it really does .... some pretty promising sets with the few blasts up and down the road .....

Well Mother Nature has not been too good to use here so far, been rained out the last few runs and every time I am free to go test it friken rains but on the other hand with very little testing i am making progress with the sled and racing partner is getting faster too but if there is one thing i can say the sleds are staying consistant in the times so right now really only changes have been working with the carbs to get throttle response which i have done so and times are now down to 1.6 60'sft and 11.60's for the qtr not that i have the carbs dialied in i have been working with the clutching and trying to do so with OEM yamaha weights which i have been making head way with it for weights right now i am running stock Sidewinder weights and the stock rx1 spring with stock secondary spring at 70* twist but the helix is a unknown from my buddies old apex kit which i was running with .... going to switch helix's out to a known angle and work on getting the rpms up to 10,400 right now i am peaking at 9700 another round tomorrow night but calling for rain again ....hopefully it holds off

yep got rained out again but spent last friday night at the track testing and made some gains on both the rx1 and the 02 srx only thing was i for got my gram scale so i stayed with known weights or i would have started modifying this so stuck to spring changes and helix changes Winder weights came out unltill i have more time to test and modify them but they show promise ...... well tonight i tried some setups with 8bu's but not enough time before dark to get them dialed so i went back with the stock 03 weights that have custom rivets that i make and got them working well after a little drilling and grinding to a set up that will seem to work ...... with that blasts down the road ..............thank god i am out in the town and the neighbors know me well but still don;t want Mr. officer to patrol more than normal :) ...... so with that said tomorrow night is the next round with rain in the forecast but looks like by early afternoon the chance will be gone right now bet run is 1.61 60ft with 11.61 and 111 mph also changed up the carbs a bit tonight after checking plug last friday at the track fuel screws got a tweak and mains got bumped up which seemed to help over all tonight so we should finish up the last round we started and get the next round in tomorrow night .................sled might not be to my goals yet but at least it is consistent

Good work sounds like your making progress and doing well!

well little update, we have our next round this coming friday. I have not had more time to test the sled, but the last adjustments have help gain some more. I gave the sled more fuel on the main and down low with the fuel screws and the weights in the configuration i have them in are working well. So we finished up our last race and ran the next round. It was hard to get a good call on the sled during qualifying as it broke loose on me bad so i bought back in to the loser bracket race from our makeup round and ran 11.55. ok, best run yet, but broke out as my dial was 11.60 then we got into the next round and drew my racing partner again first round with the 02 SRX so with a 11.50 dial we ran but i let up at the trap box because i did not even see him by me at that point and ran a 11.60 flat so that was a bum run but made the next round this run was a very good run but i had a crap .288 reaction and lost the race by .0398 sec sled launched great then broke loose just before the 60ft i was able to stay in it and run a 11.509 on a 11.50 dial i think if it would have not broke loose it would have put me in the high 11.4's so coming closer to my goals i may try bringing the engagement up and see if it helps to get my 60ft's down right now i am bringing it in a 2600 ish rpms my only fear is if i bump it any higher the sled may start to break loose at the launch maybe i will wait till i can get some more testing in but definitely having a blast in my first year on the asphalt plus the sleds stay so much cleaner compared to the grass ......

Thanks Terry, much of your set up advise from way back was a big help! while i am just getting ready to set the sled back up for the asphalt from the ice i have a few more ideas to help it out some more. as i finished up the asphalt i had the sled running consistent 11.41-11.43 buy the end of the year at 115-117 mph only made a few races this winter on the ice but for the few it was good, running in the 94-96 mph mark in 660 ft radar runs which got me 2 first place finishes. So now to get it all cleaned up and a few little upgrades and some rear skid work and we will be ready for another season ... i cant wait. also building a new asphalt sled from the ground up and hoping to hit the track with it by mid summer if i can find the time to get it done should be a fun build with a classic yamaha with some newer yamaha power

Where do you race at in WI?

I grew up not too far from Rock Falls Raceway near Eau Claire, WI. I went to the track every now and then to watch but I only ever saw one sled take a pass down the track. The guy had a 2003 Skidoo MXZ 700 with his own turbo/intercooler setup he was working on. From what I recall the guy ran a low 10 second pass, which made the mildly built muscle car next to him look a little slow! :D

Back