• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Away we go.

Pat tremblett

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Venture MP
image.jpg
Well.
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a ride. After a few days of let's hit the trails from a buddy of mine I said ok.
Now the question was where should we go. Final decision was lets go to my hunt camp. We could clear the roof if needed check things out and blaze some trails around there. 900 acres to play on there. Spend the night and head back next day.
So we pack a few items into bag. Cans of stew, cheese buns, and muffins. Cream for coffee. Coffee, sugar and dried food is sealed in container and put in large plastic tote. Always food and small supply of adult juice bottles ( rum, whiskey and bottle of some fruity stuff ) left at camp. Incase someone gets lost in bush and finds camp. Warm shelter and food for belly. Drink is good medicine.
Ok things are set. We load rusty ( my MP ) and we are off. Sliding down my buddies driveway at 7am in Russell ontario. Cross the road to get onto trail I see the small snow bank about 1-2 feet high. As I begin to bump over it I turn to watch the way bag and gas can move to ensure things are tied properly. Yikes other side of bank is a 4 foot drop. As my butt hits the seat interesting feeling radiates through my body. I did not realize there was a steel bar running through the little peice of seat at drivers back. Tailbone connects with said hidden steel. This only 2 mins of riding. Ok. Relax and wiggle in seat to shake off the feeling. Not to bad.
We continue on our way. 4 hours into ride we are now in Arnprior and ready for food. Butt muscles a little tender as I climb off Rusty. Walking a little odd I continue my way into restaurant to the delightful comments from the peanut gallery I am with.
After a hearty breakfast we check the trail map and we are back on trail. Ah this is excellent. Trail groomer must have went by as we were eating. Ahh soft on the tushy. Well for 5 min anyway. We come to T junction and we turn off freshly groomed trail. Yup right onto a trail that is washboard OMG. Ok standing is not to bad. After what feels like forever we make another turn. This trail not to bad. Able to sit again. Well what I can only class as sitting under the circumstances. Right cheek up then left back and forth every couple min. We get aprox 2.5 hours from camp and we see a couple of ontarios finest officers sitting on their snowmobiles resting. My butt is crying so we stopped to stretch (legs). I muster all the manliness I can and approach the officers. One smiles and nods in recognition of my tender way of walking and says with a chuckle hard trails? I proceed to ask if they have morphine or OxyContin for sale. Chuckles begins to laugh while his partner just raises one eye brow. I begin to tell them the story of how I got to walking this way and the ride to this point. Well let me tell you chuckles is crying from laughing and leaning on his partner to keep from falling over. Partner is also now laughing. I walk away from them saying they are not very helpful. As I climb back onto Rusty, Chuckles calls out happy trails.
We continue our ride.
Yes here is the turn off to get to my gate. My buddy wants to lead the way. 2014 Venture Rs 1000. 3 min down road without preblazed trail he has sunk. Ok Rusty let's show everyone how you can blaze trails. I go around him and blaze through to camp and back to him. Just to widen trail for him. Unpack tow rope and pull him out. Ahh finally we step off machines. Up the stairs and into camp. Open door and WOW what in heavens name happened. Everything on shelf above stove has been knocked off. Cans left on metal racks with coffee ect are knocked off racks and lids chewed off. Food tote has been chewed into and all supplies are gone. TP is strewn shredded across floor. Movie dvd's are scattered across floor. Not sure why. Maybe rodents could not work DVD player and got upset. The chair I told my hunting buddy not to leave is shredded. Stuffing all over the place.
Ok. Time to clean and set up bed for the night. I start picking stuff up and setting back on shelves. All of a sudden there is this redish flash. One of the culprits is still in cabin. A red squirrel. This must be the one who ate all the sugar. He is chattering and running in circles. I look for something to throw at him. Ahh there on the shelf beside my bunk an arrow. As I step to get it I slip on some of the garbage left by this devil beast. I land yup you guessed it. On my tail bone. Pain surging through me squirrel chattering my buddy screaming like a little school girl. Enough. I push pain out of mind grab arrow and throw it. Squirrel dodges left and I miss. But arrow goes through carton of cream for coffee. I grab broom and swing with all the effort I can muster. I connect. Not being a golfer I would have to say it was an impressive drive. It went out the door landed about 20 yards from cabin rolled stood chattered and ran off. I tell my buddies to start sweeping floor while I straighten up. Well school girl Nancy is sitting on machine saying Nope. There was a squirrel in there. I can't go in there let alone sleep there. I want to go home. Really? Fine. Clean a little and close door and we leave. It is now 10 hours since we left his place and we begin the return trip.
Yes it was a very long day.
image.jpg

And you didn't sink with those skinny skis? Amazing!

And yes, I know that piece of metal or plastic that is at the back of the front seat (well, my butt does). Being 6'2", I tend to try and stretch back as far as possible and my butt is usually on that hard piece. I have to take my seat and tank off to check my exhaust (sounds like a Harley right now). I'll see if I can find a way to put the seat back a bit. I don't need the rear seat really so I might be able to. My knees would be ever so grateful.

And you didn't sink with those skinny skis? Amazing!

And yes, I know that piece of metal or plastic that is at the back of the front seat (well, my butt does). Being 6'2", I tend to try and stretch back as far as possible and my butt is usually on that hard piece. I have to take my seat and tank off to check my exhaust (sounds like a Harley right now). I'll see if I can find a way to put the seat back a bit. I don't need the rear seat really so I might be able to. My knees would be ever so grateful.[/QUOTE
Moose I find that often keeping throttle at about half will allow the machine to float. Or sort of float. As long as you see your line before you start and not change your mind and try to redirect machine last minute. Dropping off edge of trail unexpectedly is a different story.
Yes we of the over 6' club have a challenge sometimes getting comfortable on snowmobiles. Especially me also being in the above 200lb club which is one reason why I like my MP. It is comfortable Just have to remember the hard peice in the seat.
I just have to wait for all warranties to be over before I begin modifying Rusty.

Easier when you intentionally go off trail. Half throttle and pick your line. No sudden sharp turns or your sunk. That does it for me.
We of the over 6' club sometimes have a challenge finding a comfortable snowmobile. Throw in my being over 200lb and coming up on 55 years on this planet and you have the main reason I went with the MP.
I am not a fan of how quick Rusty tips and sinks when I hit the side edge of a trail unintentionally.

And with that rack, we can carry a lot of stuff and become everybody's supply and transport sled. If you ride alone, you can remove the rear seat and carry even more.

I guess you were carrying gas for the Doo? ;)

And with that rack, we can carry a lot of stuff and become everybody's supply and transport sled. If you ride alone, you can remove the rear seat and carry even more.

I guess you were carrying gas for the Doo? ;)
Actually the doo is my old machine. Never let me down and gets good gas milage. The reason I got new sled is my wife talked me into it saying doo is still good for atleast 5 years but do you really want to be buying new machine at 60 years old. How can you argue with that logic.

Wish my wife had that logic! I'm trying to convince her I'm having a mid-life crisis and I need a new sled. That or a Camaro LaLaLa

Haha. Well all I can say is I am very lucky and thankful for my wife. i will not tell you how she has spoiled me over the years. Getting up before me to make my coffee and breakfast then bring it to me in bed. Every morning. Not just on weekends. I leave the house at 6am then she goes back to bed until 8. She starts work at 9.
Yes she is one in a million but I won't brag. :Rockon::jump:

I saw getting the new sled much the same way. The Bravo would have cut it for a few more years but given the quality of these Yamaha four strokes I'm never going to have to replace it and I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it now. I'll probably use this thing more in the next five years than the ten years after that.

Back