• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery tender questions

Millsy

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 vector, 2015 Viper XTX , 2016 Viper LTX DX
Has anyone used the two prong plug by the chain case on a Viper to attach there battery tender for charging?

Has anyone used the two prong plug by the chain case on a Viper to attach there battery tender for charging?

I think that's for the light up handguards?

Pretty sure it only has power when engine is running. Or maybe when key is on - been too long since I used it for my powered gps.

Pretty sure it only has power when engine is running. Or maybe when key is on - been too long since I used it for my powered gps.
I am pretty sure your right , only with the key on. Probably would charge the battery then.

I put a battery tender pigtail on and routed it out a hole out the back under the seat and keep it tucked behind the tunnel bag.

I put a battery tender pigtail on and routed it out a hole out the back under the seat and keep it tucked behind the tunnel bag.
Thanks, that sounds like a plan . I will have to go look for the hole in the back.

This is what I've done also. Direct to the battery is always best.

Be careful not to ‘plug in and leave’ as a good buddy had to batteries - automotive- explode from months of ‘cooking’ the fluids off presumably. So I use them for short term days to a week but do NOT leave on indefinitely …….my two cents. I suspect the good ones that are more expensive ones have a circuit that shuts it self off. THese were the cheap 5 dollar ones.

That might be the case with cheaper chargers/trickle chargers but that has not been the case with the 4 Battery Tender Jrs I use to charge my batteries. During offseason, the Battery Tender Jrs are connected to the battery (I did used to use those battery cable leads that were intended to jump start but now go direct to battery) and remain connected until its time to reinstall. Never had an issue with the batteries and believe using a trickle charger during the offseason is one of the primary reasons for my battery longevity.

Be careful not to ‘plug in and leave’ as a good buddy had to batteries - automotive- explode from months of ‘cooking’ the fluids off presumably. So I use them for short term days to a week but do NOT leave on indefinitely …….my two cents. I suspect the good ones that are more expensive ones have a circuit that shuts it self off. THese were the cheap 5 dollar ones.
Yamadoo, you are correct. The cheap harbor freight type trickle chargers will ruin a battery if left on. But the higher end optimates and battery tenders are constantly sensing the battery and only charging when needed. Good point for people to know though.

You bet cheap ones are never good. . Cheap or expensive any battery charger on low/trickle charge/2amps for a prolong time will kill the battery.
I would use a Tender or Maintainer because they self monitor and only charge when needed. Good ones will also de sulfate the plates and condition the battery.

'07 grizzly, kept at the family cottage with an Optimate 3 hooked to it constantly.... "original" battery just failed this fall... NO BS...cant believe it myself.. gonna have to..I own it...

the 05 big bear in my sig made 15 years before i had to replace the oe battery and i would put it on the optimate charger every year before hunting season to top it off before i started using it hard.

Back