• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Squeal

Henry Bulanda

I put a new belt on my 04 Warrior, original belt lasted 1200 mi. With the new belt on, ever time I stop and idle the belt squeals loud, almost like a contstant whistle ?

Belt deflection is a little too tight.To fix it remove secondary and on the back of it is three 8mm bolts remove them and take the washer out and reinstall bolts.

Or a much better way is to get a belt deflection adjuster.I got mine from goodwin it was $30.00 once installed to adjust belt deflection just have to loosen 1 allen bolt and turn it.Much simpler and faster.I like to run my belt as tight as possible without the squealing.

I just put a new belt on my 03-RX-1. My belt was doing the same thing and i also have to remove the spacers. I checked mine and i have 1mil spacers. I am going to remove the spacers. This is my first Yamaha and i didnt know about it. But one of my buddies is a big Yamaha guy and i called him and he filled me in on the spacers. :Rockon:

Just came in from the shop and i removed the 1-mil spacers and retryed it works fine now. The belt is sitting lower in the secondary.

Yes, for the record (because I did it WRONG the first time).....

Remove (fewer) shims/washers to lower it in the secondary when belt is too tight (usually when new) and the belt squeals...

Add (more) shims/washers as belt wears to raise it and keep it at the proper height in the secondary clutch and proper tension...

If nothing else, I can search this thread in the future MYSELF to keep from doing it wrong AGAIN! :o| :o|

steve 05 RX-1 said:
Belt deflection is a little too tight.To fix it remove secondary and on the back of it is three 8mm bolts remove them and take the washer out and reinstall bolts.

Or a much better way is to get a belt deflection adjuster.I got mine from goodwin it was $30.00 once installed to adjust belt deflection just have to loosen 1 allen bolt and turn it.Much simpler and faster.I like to run my belt as tight as possible without the squealing.

Or just go ride a couple hundred miles and it will fix itself.

I have ridden several hundred miles and belt still squeals-My wife has an rs rage and hers dose the same-could you give me the link to goodwin belt deflection device?

What they are NOT telling you is; if you put on the Goodwin adjuster, you will loose the Secondary Sheave's axial endplay and have a fixed secondary sheave. This may not be what you want. After trying the thing, it went back on the bench as a $30 lesson learned. I like having the axial endplay. That way, you do not have to be dead nuts on with off-set, which will get you buying more spacers, etc.

You may want to consider either riding it for a couple hundred miles as is or adjust it using the washers. Just don't leave it sitting there idling away while it is squealing. Shut 'er off.

By the way, if you do take out the washers, after a few hundred miles you will be putting those washers you took out back in. So, ... You may want to consider hanging on to them.

New to the forum, just bought an 05 with 3800 klms. V-belt is 30mm yamaha says wear limit is 32.5. Seems to be fitting fine in the sheaves about 0.5mm below. Will this do any damage or can you run the belt even thinner if you use washers for adjustment? Have a new one on order but the going is good now. Thanks

I run them until they blow. You can add washers to get the belt height adjustment back up to the top/above the top. Just make sure you carry a spare at all times, when doing this. TIP: You may want to consider breaking the new spare in a bit before you try WOT (i.e. 25-50 miles or more if you can stand it :) ) I put it on and run around "the Hood" a bit. Then take the new one off and store it. This way it is already broke in before you really need it.

Hello Len thanks for the reply. Read a few posts about people blowing belts at high speeds and doing damage to the hood or other damage and didn't want that to happen to me. Looks good no rips or tears a little thin though just worried about it exploding.

Like I said, I run them till she blows. Never had any damage yet. Just a little mess to vacuum out now and then. The cords can get wrapped in the clutch sometimes. Good Idea to carry a pocket knife. But, I have never had that happen. Usually the back comes off and there still is enough belt left to limp in for a 100 miles or so. But, ... it does not hurt to be conservative.

Any tricks for changing out a belt on a 05 rx warrior? I had to change mine on the trail last weekend after I flat spotted the belt getting stuck in some heavy wet snow. The process seems painful. It took 2 guys to do the change, one to hold the secondary open the other to remove the belt….Other sleds seem much easier!

Thoughts?

Leave your gloves on. Open the secondary by pressing on the Helix and turning it clockwise at the same time. As you press in the secondary, press down on the belt at the top of the secondary. This works on my RX-1 very nicely.

However, ... as you go up in spring tesion, this gets harder to do this. The other day I had one in "the shop" that this did not work (i.e. new belt, fresh cleaned and scuffed clutches, etc.) I ended up loosening the helix nuts to the point that the nuts were about 1/2 on the studs. Then the belt dropped in with only light pressure on it at the top of the secondary. Then, we tightened the helix nuts.

Back