• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake Caliper seized caused small fire

LouTurbo

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
Pilot Skiis
STOLEN Nov.14, 2022
My buddy's 2017 Sidewinder (3,500 miles) seized brake caliper caused small fire while riding, I wasnt with him.
His brakes gave out and caught fire a minute after he crossed a highway, scary sh!te.
Dealer replacing entire caliper and hose.

Wouldn't you know my brakes started squeaking on take off and at slow stop on Sunday ( unlike belt sound), will check this weekend, could be my caliper may be starting to seize also, so now I'm worried.
Are the calipers rebuild-able? or is the bore only aluminum and a throwaway. Are there other brand replacement options as I may buy a new caliper assembly and throw it on.

No we don't leave on the emergency brake on and sleds are stored in heated warehouse all year.
These hassles, clutching, belt, now Brake Caliper are starting to tempt me to cut a cheque on the new Mach.
Less patience as I get older when there are options.

This was a common problem on ZX chassis Skidoos after they aged. It generally was caused by burnt brake fluid (not changed frequently enough) clogging the return hole. I have no idea, but just wonder if something similar is occurring. On my 06 Attak, I hardly used the brakes due to engine braking. Driving those hard you would just roll out of the throttle to set the ski and start the turn and the roll back on to complete the corner and come out full tilt. Geez, I miss that sled :( However I am guessing the Viper and Sidewinder have to use the brakes more like a 2-stroke.

This was a common problem on ZX chassis Skidoos after they aged. It generally was caused by burnt brake fluid (not changed frequently enough) clogging the return hole. I have no idea, but just wonder if something similar is occurring. On my 06 Attak, I hardly used the brakes due to engine braking. Driving those hard you would just roll out of the throttle to set the ski and start the turn and the roll back on to complete the corner and come out full tilt. Geez, I miss that sled :( However I am guessing the Viper and Sidewinder have to use the brakes more like a 2-stroke.
Coming off an RX-1 and a couple Apex's , I hardly knew where the brake was , I used it so little .
Now on the SW it will be the second thing that wears out after the grips wear out , from squeezing sooooo tight !

Back