• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake rotor

roofman65

Well doing a 6000 mile inspection my Lower clutch bearing was good but the shaft was worn drastically I put a new shaft in and a upper gear in the chain case but I also noticed the The race from the lower bearing wore into my rotor approximately 1/16 of an inch will this hurt anything

Well doing a 6000 mile inspection my Lower clutch bearing was good but the shaft was worn drastically I put a new shaft in and a upper gear in the chain case but I also noticed the The race from the lower bearing wore into my rotor approximately 1/16 of an inch will this hurt anything
You can put a shim to take up the space .
Imo you want the c clip snug so the disk doesn't slap around and mess spline teeth or bang the c clip

Last edited:
Check out this post.

I would caution against shimming rotor to tight, ok to make up for lost material, but the rotor needs to "float" since the caliper is of fixed design. The chassis flexs quite a bit in this area.

Well, the caliper/brake pads center the rotor. Not sure it makes any difference if the rotor hub is worn - still should be centered by brake pads. IF shaft doesn't spin straight, then rotor wobbles or has runout. That might make it sound like something is loose or bent or whatever when run on stand.

Rotor doesn't float its sandwiched between the bearing race and the circlip

If it had no float built in by yamacat then why are we having problems with driveshaft bearings spinning? If there were no float the snap ring should press against the rotor hard enough to force it against the inner bearing race and back shoulder of drive axle to keep it from turning on drive axle. Im not talking about a country mile of float, but all three of my yamacats have .010" to .020" by feel, pull brake pads out and my rotors move this much

Alrighty i had better check mine closer, strange though just had all three apart pulled grease seal regreased bearings and bearing bonded bearing to shafts, dont saprise me though, i always get the oddball stuff in life!

Rotor doesn't float its sandwiched between the bearing race and the circlip
If the rotor hub is worn down from spinning against bearing there is clearance between the hub and the circlip at the end of the track shaft for sure. It is sized so if the rotor hub is new, there is very little clearance but if the hub is worn, there is clearance.

If it had no float built in by yamacat then why are we having problems with driveshaft bearings spinning? If there were no float the snap ring should press against the rotor hard enough to force it against the inner bearing race and back shoulder of drive axle to keep it from turning on drive axle. Im not talking about a country mile of float, but all three of my yamacats have .010" to .020" by feel, pull brake pads out and my rotors move this much
Besides, many/most chassis you have to pull the outer running boards together with ratchet strap in order to get either circlip on.

If the rotor hub is worn down from spinning against bearing there is clearance between the hub and the circlip at the end of the track shaft for sure. It is sized so if the rotor hub is new, there is very little clearance but if the hub is worn, there is clearance.
Of course

Alrighty i had better check mine closer, strange though just had all three apart pulled grease seal regreased bearings and bearing bonded bearing to shafts, dont saprise me though, i always get the oddball stuff in life!
Are you sure yours float and it’s not the rotor slightly moving in the splines of the shaft?
On mine the circlip is a tight fit but once on If I grab the rotor outer edge I can feel slight play but definitely not float.

Last edited:

Back