• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Burnt my belt going up my trailer ! 07 Apex Gt

quebec#1

Expert
Last week after a ride i loaded up my sled on my trailer and didnt get all the way up the tilted trailer so i gave her some gas but it didnt even move an inch sounded like my Clutches were jammed.
Had a friend help me tilt the trailer and got the sled on.
The machine had the awful smell of burning belt. I raised the rear of the machine gave it some gas the tracked turned ok.
Yesterday i changed my belt looked at the old one (only 1000 miles) and saw the side that had burnt.
Rode all day yesterday and not a problem Even saw a record 125 mph on my machine.
Any thoughts ? I did burn a belt last spring but that was because the ski's jammed in soft mud from the driveway to the trailer.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. When you load it be sure to get all the way up, if not back it off & retry until done properly. I'ved ruined 1 or 2 belts loading it. However not for a few years now. I may be a slow learner but I do LEARN.

if it's not thumping, probably be okay - take it off and scrub it with soap and water and scotchbrite the edges it will probably be okay - if not it will make a good a backup - my old viper with studs was a belt eater when putting it on the trail.

Yea, riding with the e brake on doesn't help the belt either. I'm going to paint the underside of the lever orange. Was riding Friday and thought the engine braking was more than usual. Oh well what's a pair of brake pads anyways!!!

Quebec#1 I believe all of us have had this happen now and then, and parking brake left on also. Do your clutches now have a black gummy residue on them? Have seen this a couple of times, cleaned clutches and belt as per woolyviper said and all was well. Belt was no worse for the wear and still got 6,000kms out of it. Check belt for hourglass shape but if no vibrations probably ok.

Back