• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CAI on precision efi stage 3 tune???

Krystian

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-se
Has anyone ran a hood intake with a stage 3 precision efi tune? Was told it would lean the machine out, but just would like to know the reasons behind it. I wasnt aware of this when i got the tune installed. One of the main reasons i bought a sidewinder was for that wicked thrbo noise they give out with the cai. Thanks for the help

Sebastien told me he proved that the dyno - cannot run CAI with his Stage 3. He said it would work most of the time but he doesnt

Sorry, fat-fingered and hit post too soon.
He doesn't know what gas we're getting so it might not work.
Did you know that WOT on Stage 3 at -15 degF the injectors are wide open - cannot flow any more. So if you add CAI, then maybe they're at max maybe at 0?

Has anyone ran a hood intake with a stage 3 precision efi tune? Was told it would lean the machine out, but just would like to know the reasons behind it. I wasn't aware of this when i got the tune installed. One of the main reasons i bought a sidewinder was for that wicked turbo noise they give out with the cai. Thanks for the help

Cold air intake not needed and told by Sebastian that running a cold air intake with Precision EFI stage 3 will lean it out.

I have a fuel pump/regulator and CAI... does that mean I can only run stage 3R and 4 ?? What if i want to run stage 1,2, or 3... I can't because i have those upgrades? Website is decieving because it shows those mods are required to run the bigger tunes... but also advertises fuel economy of the 250 tune. Not sure how that works when they tell you NOT to run a CAI with stage 1,2 and 3.

I'm also a PEFI customer currently running Stage 4 (320 HP).
I too was told (by Silvan at PEFI) to not run CAI on anything except 3R & 4. The only thing I can come up in my mind is they've never dynoed CAI on those tunes (not likely) or they have and their map is lean enough on the lower tunes that it really is not safe on pump gas (91). The only way to know for sure is for them to share their data (they won't) or to get your own AFR gage so you can see for yourself. That's what I did.
I also run a TD adjustable FPR so I can set FP wherever I need to get safe WOT AFR.
An extension of this same dilemma applies to any "mix-and-match" setup (one tuners tune, a different tuners exhaust, a different tuners intake, etc). IMO, best to buy whatever tune you want, and get everything from that same tuner. They presumably have dyno-tested all the components together.
For example, presently I have PEFI Stage 4 including their tune, their CAI, their fuel pump kit, their MAP. However, NOT their (restrictive 2.5" performance trail) muffler. I have 3" small-body straight through Sandale which clearly flows better than PEFI 2.5" muffler. If I didn't have my AFR gage and adjustable FPR, I wouldn't dare run that muffler because the tune would be lean (again, it was built using a more restrictive PEFI 2.5" muffler). But since I can see AFR, and I can increase FP easily to richen AFR if I need to, I can run 3" muffler comfortably.
Bottom line answer to your question is, if you can monitor AFR, you probably can run CAI on Stage 1, 2. 3 but if it's lean you also must be able to richen. BTW - interestingly, the multi map flash for Stage 4 does include ability to select Econ, Stage 1, 2, or 3 (not 3R). So, since Stage 4 is with their CAI, I can only assume selecting 1, 2, or 3 is safe with CAI also. They must have massaged their Stage 4 multi map to be able to run Econ, Stage 1, 2, 3, and 4 all with CAI. BTW, the Stage 4 tune (and all the multi map tunes that come with it) are 4 bar tunes (meaning 58 psi fuel pressure) not 43 psi 3 bar tunes.

Pretty hard to see effects of cAI on the dyno. Only real way is in the field and data logging
Agree 100%. All I know is PEFI seems paranoid on them for their Stages 1, 2, 3. Even through they (IMHO) have one of the best CAIs around.

I have a fuel pump/regulator and CAI... does that mean I can only run stage 3R and 4 ?? What if i want to run stage 1,2, or 3... I can't because i have those upgrades? Website is decieving because it shows those mods are required to run the bigger tunes... but also advertises fuel economy of the 250 tune. Not sure how that works when they tell you NOT to run a CAI with stage 1,2 and 3.
Hmmmmm

Back