• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can I get your opinion

TLiddicoat

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro XTX backcountry 1.75"
I currently have an 08 Nytro for myself and an 06 Apex for my 130lb girlfriend. It has proven to be too much for her and am looking at getting an 07 phazer GT, however, I know nothing about these sleds. Are there any differences between the 07's and the newer ones? whats the top speed? how comfy/reliable are they? common problems? any other input would be great in making this decision. thank you.
Tyler.

07's had a lot of updates. Run the VIN to find out if they were done. If not some of them were very expensive.

Phazer is light, fun to ride and TIPPY AS HELL. Not recommended for someone who doesnt like to throw their weight around.

As someone else just posted, the JRE spindles helped him a lot with the tippiness.

Drive one and decide I would say.

You need to make sure your fuel is always fresh or you will be doing plug changes. Ive never had starting problems after getting the cold start ECU and a Napa Glass matt battery. The seat is not great for padding, but having said that it is the most comfortable riding position I have ever ridden.

Thats why I am ok with a little less power, this sled feels just awesome to me.

If you trail ride they will dart just like anything else. Lots of ways to fix this.

My wife has 16000 miles on her phazer,she enjoys it very much,but now she wants more power,here,the trails are straight and flat and the phazer has a hard time keeping up,she is getting my vector and i'm trying a new venture gt for next season,there are a few little things that bug me with the phazer though,like ice on the running boards,vibration in the handlebars,high revving motor feels like its gonna blow,but never does,lolsteering slop,if i were you,i'd look at a vector with eps,those are a dream to drive

X2. My wife loves her Vector LTX.

It depends on your riding style. For boondocking, or where top speed isn't a big deal, the phazer works well. It is tippy. An Apex with power steering assist is easier to steer than the older ones, but still a heavy machine. There were a number of updates on Phazers and many say newer than 07 is better. I have an 07 and only issues were the less than perfect reverse and a poor ground block that failed 20 miles away from the truck. If you aren't a Yamaha only, my wife loves her 600 XP. Faster, steers better and more comfortable than my phazer. With newer e-tech, mileage is even better.

I have a 2009 600 etec and a 2009 Phazer. Every time I ride the etec for a day, I am sore as heck in the legs and arms the next day or two. When I ride the Phazer for the same amount of time and riding style.....I am not sore at all! Something nice about the Phazer rider position, way better than the etec, for me at least. Yes, the phazer can be tippy, but if you ride it like you own it, all is well. It took me 3 years to figure that out. Now I can take that phazer anywhere and then some.....in comparison to the etec. Surprise, I prefer to ride the phazer, more fun and less pain in the legs. If you don't just sit there, the phazer isn't anymore tippey than other forward position sleds. Seriously, how fast do we really need to go on snow? The phazer tops for me at 80mph, for most trail riding, that is plenty. Of course, others will argue that more speed is needed, but sit back and think about it a little.....really?
My two cents.....

That goes without saying..... I don't usually hold 60 for extended periods of time. If one does.....yes, they should maybe consider a bigger sled. I'm not saying the phazer is the "best" all around sled.....it's just a "great" sled to have the option to ride.

pat the rat said:
Its not that we want to go faster,but ride an apex or vector at 60 mph and ride a phazer at 60 mph for extended period of time and it all comes clear the phazer is working hard

I'd put 60mph as a good TOP cruising speed for the Phazer, anything above that and the mileage tanks. Agressive corner to corner and 60-70mph on the straights with the guys I ride with put me in the 17mpg range but I keep up just fine, I'm sure a Vector probably gets the same mileage under those conditions if not better. At 60 Mine is turning 9500rpm which even makes me cringe a bit but it has no trouble doing it all day long, 70mph and she is definitely working hard and past 1/2 throttle to maintain speed.

i agree with BIR - just a note that the 09's were not as tippy as the 07's - 07 had lots of ski lift and the 09has little to none.

woolyviper said:
i agree with BIR - just a note that the 09's were not as tippy as the 07's - 07 had lots of ski lift and the 09has little to none.

Fill us in on what was changed between 07 and 09 that made it "less tippy" or have "less ski lift"

There were plenty of simple mods that folks did to make them less tippy or less ski lift, but nothing was done at the factory. Many of us pulled a limiter strap or moved spindle spacers. But this was never done at the factory, and to this day, I don't think things were changed on the phazer for either.

Fill us in, so we all know. Just curious.

Only thing I can think of is some of the 07's used plain non rebuildable oil shocks and those were ditched for non rebuildable gas shocks which may have helped but even those were not very good.

Back