• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

carburetor cleaner spray

victorn

Veteran
anyone has suggestions to what spray would work best for cleaning carburetors without taking them off (03 rx1)? thanks !

Not that Im aware of... People will probably say to use Seafoam but I am not a fan of it. :carbs:

victorn said:
anyone has suggestions to what spray would work best for cleaning carburetors without taking them off (03 rx1)? thanks !

Pretty hard to spray clean anything that meters fuel on a carb without pulling it from the machine.

If you are in a situation where the machine doesnt run I'm not sure a fuel tank additive would do the trick.

If you are up and running now, and want to maintain things, sea foam in the tank seems to be popular.

yamaha1973 said:
Not that Im aware of... People will probably say to use Seafoam but I am not a fan of it. :carbs:

Curious why your not a fan of Sea Foam Yamaha?

I have been using for more than a few years now and I swear by it.

A couple years ago I decided to take the carbs off my 95 XLT Sp just to have a look and I couldn't believe how clean they were.

From that I know I will never have to remove my carbs again, unless something else arises?

I run it throughout the season, usually add a 100-200mls per tank or every other tank in both sleds.

I give it a extra dose at the end before summerization and my sleds always fire right up and run great.

Just saying.

there is nothing you can spray down the air intake that will clean where the fuel comes up. Yeah, it will clean where the AIR goes, but that isn't the problem! You can spray a whole can of carb cleaner in, not a drop will touch the jets.

If your RX1 is anything like the RS Rage I had, the only thing to get gummed up in the carbs are the Pilot jet I think it is called. It is the jet with all the tiny holes in them. I was able to remove the carb rack from both the air box and cylinder head and remove the float bowls without disconnecting anything else. There should be enough slack to tip the carb rack enough to get at the float bowl screws. It took time and patience remove the float bowl, float, and jet without dropping parts down under the engine. This way you don't have to worry about syncing the carbs.

G.B.

ok, sea foam than it is ! :)
sled is running but takes a little effort to start up
i am going to replace plugs, and since i got it used last season i've only changed oil and haven't looked at carbs, don't really want to do it in winter but i will take em apart when it warms up

Gone Blue said:
If your RX1 is anything like the RS Rage I had, the only thing to get gummed up in the carbs are the Pilot jet I think it is called. It is the jet with all the tiny holes in them. I was able to remove the carb rack from both the air box and cylinder head and remove the float bowls without disconnecting anything else. There should be enough slack to tip the carb rack enough to get at the float bowl screws. It took time and patience remove the float bowl, float, and jet without dropping parts down under the engine. This way you don't have to worry about syncing the carbs.

G.B.

You won't have to sync even if you remove the carbs, as you don't have to de-rack them. (that is a different subject, and carbs should be synced anyway, its WAY easier than even cleaning them!)

Anyway, if you do flip the carbs over and leave them in the engine bay, absolutely make sure to stuff some clean rags into the engine boots! You do not want a screw dropping down one of those, that would ruin your day...

smokingcrater said:
Gone Blue said:

G.B.

You won't have to sync even if you remove the carbs, as you don't have to de-rack them. (that is a different subject, and carbs should be synced anyway, its WAY easier than even cleaning them!)

Anyway, if you do flip the carbs over and leave them in the engine bay, absolutely make sure to stuff some clean rags into the engine boots! You do not want a screw dropping down one of those, that would ruin your day...

yah, i've dropped a float pin into intake manifold on my boat engine once, that feeling is not good :))) thank got i got it out

Back