• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching help, I think

Daranello

Suspended
Ok here the deal I had a strong running stock XTX usually 4mph behind my buddies strong running apex...best I've seen is 112mph GPS....@9060rpm

Anyways I wanted to beat my buddys apex (5mph goal)

so first I lost 55lbs off my belly :exc:

So I added the Excell header and wow my RPM went thru the roof 9200-9300rpm...so its making power....

Next I added plugs, K&N and Ulmer clutch kit and it turned into a dog 8600-8800rpm on top and STILL 4 mph off my buddys apex....considering all the mods and my 50+lbs weight lost...

someone tell me what went wrong? but better yet how to fix it.

Secondarys at 60 moved it to 70 and its top end stayed the same ;):D

Daranello, I have a strong running XTX as well and added a clutch kit and killed it. I am gonna call the guys at the heel clicker tech line and see if they can set me up, if not I'm going back to stock clutching.

I'd ty your stock clutching snce its an easy swap and go from there. I have yet to see an aftermarket kit pull the same top end as the stock clutching except for the team stuff.

Daranello said:
Ok here the deal I had a strong running stock XTX usually 4mph behind my buddies strong running apex...best I've seen is 112mph GPS....@9060rpm

So I added the Excell header and wow my RPM went thru the roof 9200-9300rpm...so its making power....

Next I added plugs, K&N and Ulmer clutch kit and it turned into a dog 8600-8800rpm on top and STILL 4 mph off my buddys apex....considering all the mods and my 50+lbs weight lost...

I think you are forgetting one variable here - a clutch kit, you can't compare rpm of stock weight to an aftermarket weight with a more aggressive profile and expect the same result. How does your sled compare now with all the mods against the Apex in drag race from 0-90? You should be beating up on the Apex (if stock) to about 90mph. Top end is a different story, the stock weights are tuned for top end mph. It's a compromise what would you rather have, impressive acceleration or top end?

Daranello said:

OK, you need to get it back to 9000RPM. Remove the tipweight and the middle weight put the the secondary back to 60 degrees and then tell me what RPM you have... It should come in at 8400-8600RPM and pull up to 9000-92000. When I went from 60-70degrees, I lost 3mph... You are definetely not in the right RPM range...

I ran 114 down a road pushing 3" of powder, so I'm sure you can find the speed you had last year or more, but you need to find what your sled likes....

SledFreak - Wow, you like to run your RPM way up to 9,200? Mine didn't seem to pull hard on top and added another washer to tip and now it settles at 8,800 with some improvement.

Turk said:
Remember what i distinctly told you last year????

Turk, I do remember you saying that but didn't you say a helix would help???I did try stock when i went with just the header and was hitting the limiter (and I hated the stock clutching down low)...them after talking to ulmer he guarantied me a minimum of 4mph on top end if i used his clutching setup so I decided to give it a try.

Maybe Allen could chim in and help me get this baby past that apex...

The reason I bought his kit was cause of this post from him "The stock FX Nytro gearing and clutching is not setup at all for top end, but if you reclutched, etc you should see a solid 4 mph gain."

And 4mph is exacly what I'm looking for!!!

SledFreak said:
Daranello said:

OK, you need to get it back to 9000RPM. Remove the tipweight and the middle weight put the the secondary back to 60 degrees and then tell me what RPM you have... It should come in at 8400-8600RPM and pull up to 9000-92000. When I went from 60-70degrees, I lost 3mph... You are definetely not in the right RPM range...

I ran 114 down a road pushing 3" of powder, so I'm sure you can find the speed you had last year or more, but you need to find what your sled likes....

SF, Ill give that a try did you try the stock clutching? Whos kit are u running and did u change your helix??

BADSLED said:
SledFreak - Wow, you like to run your RPM way up to 9,200? Mine didn't seem to pull hard on top and added another washer to tip and now it settles at 8,800 with some improvement.

You only want to run 9200 on the long pull.... But it should go to 9000 up to about 100-15 and then pull up on top end. Now you need a good hard surface to see this happen....

Just with the header alone you are still at 147-148hp @9000RPM. Darenello is still down 200RPM where he needs to be...

I was leading a group of sleds on a long wide open trail. A buddy of mine wanted to race me on his piped up 600 Dragon. We took off from a 70 mph role. We were dead even til about 95 and ever ever so slowly that Dragon inched in front of me. What the heck.

We raced again fom a dead dig in a field. I killed him from the hole to about 90 mph and then I started hearing his piped Dragon catch me.

I installed Ulmers kit. We rode the next weekend. At 70 mph we raced again. I pulled on the Dragon and never see him again. Raced multiple times from a dead dig. Never heard him coming.

Ulmers kit worked for me. Seems like it improved my top end.

Raced my buddys 1200 Renegade. I get him out of the hole and mid range. He might pass me depending on conditions but it will take more than a 1/4 mile. And if he goes by me it is real, real slow.

Raced a couple of 2004 F7s. Beat them both. One of them started to catch me at near 100 mph then it seamed like we both hit a wall and he couldn't get around me. He was about a 1/2 sled behind me.

Daranello said:
SledFreak said:
Daranello said:

SF, Ill give that a try did you try the stock clutching? Whos kit are u running and did u change your helix??

Allen's. You should PM him and he will tell you are at and he will tell you where you need to be....

But, I gained 3mph goiing from 8400RPM-8600RPM where it it would only run up to 8800. I removed the tip weight and it pulled right up to 9000 and I gained 3 mph...

Back