• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did i buy the right oil change kit?

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd

All the same, mtx has baffled oil tank and takes a bit over 4 quarts of oil

All the same, mtx has baffled oil tank and takes a bit over 4 quarts of oil

Thanks much for the reply. My sled is due for it's initial change (was a 2015, but bought with only 397 miles). I'm stuck with just the 4 quarts that came with this kit. Getting another quart of the Yamaha specific oil will take me a bit. Think I am better off just using the 4 quarts for now (can't find in the specs how much "a bit over" 4 the sled actually takes, I must be blind...) or just top off with another synthetic 0w40?

I used this kit on my 2018 RTX this year. Didn't need any additonal oil. You should be good.

I used this kit on my 2018 RTX this year. Didn't need any additonal oil. You should be good.
Rtx doesn't have the bigger baffled oil tank so it takes just under 4 quarts

Thanks much for the reply. My sled is due for it's initial change (was a 2015, but bought with only 397 miles). I'm stuck with just the 4 quarts that came with this kit. Getting another quart of the Yamaha specific oil will take me a bit. Think I am better off just using the 4 quarts for now (can't find in the specs how much "a bit over" 4 the sled actually takes, I must be blind...) or just top off with another synthetic 0w40?
You should be good on just 4 quarts, depends how you change your oil too, just look at the level on your dipstick, mine takes 4.3 quarts but I get my oil nice and hot, crack the breather in the valve cover , drain the tank, take out the bolt from bottom of motor next oil filter, then pull filter.

You should be good on just 4 quarts, depends how you change your oil too, just look at the level on your dipstick, mine takes 4.3 quarts but I get my oil nice and hot, crack the breather in the valve cover , drain the tank, take out the bolt from bottom of motor next oil filter, then pull filter.

Mine seemed perfect with just the 4 quarts. It was the first ever oil change I've done on a snowmobile, and after riding for a couple of hours today the engine didn't blow up, so I'm pretty happy with that result. :) Manipulating the oil filter through that small access panel wasn't the easiest thing to do, I'll have to find a wrench with better clearance next time. Other than that, pretty straightforward though.

Back