• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does anyone have a new Power Steering sled to report on at all?

I'll try and pay attention this weekend while I'm riding.... if I can stop grinning from just being out on the snow for long enough to remember to do it ;)

I saw two sleds like yours on the trail here in Michigan. They were riding together. Had the second seat removed. Sharp looking sleds in person.

Bit off topic question, but EPS related. Does anyone know why the STX GT has the old spindles? Buddy of mine has one and at first we thought it had something to do with the EPS, but LTX GT has the new ones.

Bit off topic question, but EPS related. Does anyone know why the STX GT has the old spindles? Buddy of mine has one and at first we thought it had something to do with the EPS, but LTX GT has the new ones.
Jarret mentioned it in one of the videos. It was one reason I didn't go with the S-TX. I am starting to regret it.
I really don’t see any advantage to the new front end. Taller ride height which is not a good thing for an SRX
I do know riding a 2017 and a 2020 back to back there is a noticeable difference in how flat the sleds corner. There may be other factors at play but I swapped back and forth on multiple occasions with 2 different 2020's and they cornered much flatter than I could ever get my 2017 to.

Jarret mentioned it in one of the videos. It was one reason I didn't go with the S-TX. I am starting to regret it.

I do know riding a 2017 and a 2020 back to back there is a noticeable difference in how flat the sleds corner. There may be other factors at play but I swapped back and forth on multiple occasions with 2 different 2020's and they cornered much flatter than I could ever get my 2017 to.
Night and day.. 2017 to 2022.. Very noticeable.

All I've done to my 17 is reduce the front end spring preload along with the front arm preload in the rear suspension to allow the a-arms up front to sit flatter. I can rail corners like no tomorrow. I dont remember how much I reduced the pre-load, but it was substantial, four rounds as I recall. I also increased the rebound dampening on the ski shocks for less roll, 3-clicks if I remember correctly.

To think that adding height to the front spindle is going to make it corner better is backwards thinking. All the factory did was flatten the arms some for a different roll center, and add the spindle height to gain some ground clearance back on the new front end if thats what you want to call it. Its not some major chassis change. There is body roll and roll center, and there is rolling on and lifting the inside ski on the carbide at ground level, I don't think people may understand the difference here between the two. Lay the a-arms flatter on the short spindle, increase the rebound on the ski shocks, and you will end up with the same effect, plus have the benefit of lower center of gravity with the shorter spindle. It's pretty basic handling 101. A 17 can actually handle flatter with the proper setup in place, some had non adjustable shocks or didn't mess with it and achieve the proper setup, could very well find the newer spindles to corner flatter, but I have not found the long spindle to handle any flatter than a proper setup on a 17. That said, I've rode some 17-18 SE's that didn't corner or ride well, but I'm not messing with a clients setup either as its set for them. It would be like someone getting in your car and changing all the settings, I won't/don't do it. The 17 can easily be made to corner flatter than that of the stock crate setup the way they came, it can also be made worse. The reason you see the CC race sleds running the old spindle is it has a lower center of gravity and has that ability to corner flat and not lift the inside skis off the ground. A drawback is also less ground clearance and easer to bottom the driveshaft and bulkhead on the ground, so be careful with that ride height.

I sure would like to try a new EPS equipped sled though, haven't been on one personally. Was thinking I'd like to order a new one to try. My bud snowbiscut had ordered a new one, but its still not built or here yet, and our winter is over here anyway. Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance to compare them.

Does the power steering have extra steering slop in the handlebars?
the steering "slop" you're probably referring to is from an aftermarket EPS...from dead stop in deep snow you get some slop or understeer until you get going to on hard packed trail. in all honesty its the only drawback to the aftermarket system...I have it on my STX GT and love it...works fantastic over 30mph too.
Sorry Mike for chiming in on aftermarket, but I wanted to set the record straight on "slop" Joe

I would like to drive one with power steering as a demo to see how it compares to how I have mine set up. Since Yamaha doesn't do demo rides anymore I just have to wait for that day I get to switch with someone...

the steering "slop" you're probably referring to is from an aftermarket EPS...from dead stop in deep snow you get some slop or understeer until you get going to on hard packed trail. in all honesty its the only drawback to the aftermarket system...I have it on my STX GT and love it...works fantastic over 30mph too.
Sorry Mike for chiming in on aftermarket, but I wanted to set the record straight on "slop" Joe

Thanks for the reply. Our 16 vector xtx has some play in the power steering so that is why I asked.

Thanks for the reply. Our 16 vector xtx has some play in the power steering so that is why I asked.
Just wanted you to know my experience with the slop...we did some big miles the past fe days around the Kathadin area...the GSE EPS worked flawlessly and absolutely no tendonitis flareups at all. Actually once I got the rear suspension set up properly it was like riding on air...super smooth steering and ride.
I'd let you try my sled but I live in Mass and ride Maine fo the most part. Joe

All I've done to my 17 is reduce the front end spring preload along with the front arm preload in the rear suspension to allow the a-arms up front to sit flatter. I can rail corners like no tomorrow. I dont remember how much I reduced the pre-load, but it was substantial, four rounds as I recall. I also increased the rebound dampening on the ski shocks for less roll, 3-clicks if I remember correctly.

To think that adding height to the front spindle is going to make it corner better is backwards thinking. All the factory did was flatten the arms some for a different roll center, and add the spindle height to gain some ground clearance back on the new front end if thats what you want to call it. Its not some major chassis change. There is body roll and roll center, and there is rolling on and lifting the inside ski on the carbide at ground level, I don't think people may understand the difference here between the two. Lay the a-arms flatter on the short spindle, increase the rebound on the ski shocks, and you will end up with the same effect, plus have the benefit of lower center of gravity with the shorter spindle. It's pretty basic handling 101. A 17 can actually handle flatter with the proper setup in place, some had non adjustable shocks or didn't mess with it and achieve the proper setup, could very well find the newer spindles to corner flatter, but I have not found the long spindle to handle any flatter than a proper setup on a 17. That said, I've rode some 17-18 SE's that didn't corner or ride well, but I'm not messing with a clients setup either as its set for them. It would be like someone getting in your car and changing all the settings, I won't/don't do it. The 17 can easily be made to corner flatter than that of the stock crate setup the way they came, it can also be made worse. The reason you see the CC race sleds running the old spindle is it has a lower center of gravity and has that ability to corner flat and not lift the inside skis off the ground. A drawback is also less ground clearance and easer to bottom the driveshaft and bulkhead on the ground, so be careful with that ride height.

I sure would like to try a new EPS equipped sled though, haven't been on one personally. Was thinking I'd like to order a new one to try. My bud snowbiscut had ordered a new one, but its still not built or here yet, and our winter is over here anyway. Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance to compare them.
Well said Knapp!

Back