• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Doo temptation

Yea,I was disappointed it was a 600 two stroke,I am going to wait for 010 to come out. I think I am going to wait and see what they come out with give it a year on the snow then see how it holds up. I want an XP but I don't want an XP. I want one because they say it handles and rides awesome then I don't want one because there is ALOT of problems with them.

I still own an 03 600 H.O. Rev which feels exceptional light when riding compared to my 06 Nytro. It's my backup sled and still runs great. Its an easy sled to drive and I was lucky not to need any warranty work. I'm a tall rider with long legs and the seating position on that sled caused me too much knee pain. I like the seating position on the 06 Nytro, no two-stroke oil and the mpg. The motor in Nytro runs strong, but that 03 Rev would use almost twice the gas when riding hard.

I am by no means an expert, but I have an '04 REV and ride with a lot of guys who have the newer XP's. Last weekend rode with a guy who had a new E-TEC. It's a really nice sled, and all the talk is true concerning "no smoke", MPG, etc. That being said, the concerns about the issues with Ski-Doo's are valid. Over all, they do seem to have a lot of major issues with them. They are great riding sleds with Ski-Doo probably building the best handling chassis around, but the motors are unreliable. With the REV there are a lot of problems with Carb Boots delaminating and allowing burndowns, etc with very few miles on them, among many other issues. Over all, I don't think I could ever again justify paying MORE than what I paid for my Yami to buy a less-reliable sled, no matter how good it handles or how powerful it is. Winter here in northern MI is at best 3-4 months. I wouldn't want to chance wasting that limited time waiting for my dealer to routinely be fixing my BRAND NEW SLED. I only keep my REV as a backup sled and for friends to ride. Next year the wife will be getting a Vector. I can't see myself ever going back to 2-Strokes. The problems we have with Yami are minimal. Even with cold hands, at the end of the day, my Nytro will still get me home. I can't say the same for my buddies Doo's.

Everyone seems to be talking about doo's 2 strokes. Lets compare the 1200 4 stroke to yamaha's4 stroke. Yamaha seems to have a performance advantage and a HISTORY of being reliable. Lets see what happens with doo's 4 stoke. Only time will tell.

My 06 Attak have been very reliable, but has had some minor/major issues. Left me stranded twice , that being a frozen fuel pump relay and what was probably an injector problem. The code showed injector problem but sled for some reason started without doing anything after about an hour sitting on the side of the trail. The relay was an easy fix after calling dealer from the hotel we were staying at.

Other than that it was idler wheels delaminating, bad drive shaft bearing, poor handling ski's, lukewarm handlebars.

NOW if I could get the reliability of a 4 stroke motor and the handling of my old sx 700 and the suspension performance of my SxR I would never think about another sled maker.

Matt

Too be honest,Only way I would go to Doo is if it was on an 800 R. In my opinion I am driving the best 4 stroke on the market so why down grade?

My 2 cents...

I ride a 05 Rx with the short track. 2 friends rented e-techs GSX over the weekend and we covered 500 miles in the UP of michigan. I weigh 240 and they are 140 and 180. When riding hard they probably did better than me in mileage. but that was the only time anything was better. Even with the nearly 200 pound total weight difference they only got away from me when I let them. In my opinion ski-doo took the rider forward position too far this year. You feel like your on a bike, not a sled. If that's what your looking for fine, but if your normal riding is long distance hauling arsss trail riding the last thing I would want is the latest doo. If you spend your days off trail, powder, jumps & hills? there's nothing wrong with doos. Just don't plan on blowing away your friends on their Yamahas! If you are thinking about it I would rent one for a day and spend 300 miles on the thing before you commit.

As for some of the issues: these sleds had 666 & 827 miles on them. 1 had the check engine light on occasionally and the other had green tinted icicles hanging from the belly. If you take the leap? wait til 2010 when the bugs are worked out.

rxscot said:
My 2 cents...

I ride a 05 Rx with the short track. 2 friends rented e-techs GSX over the weekend and we covered 500 miles in the UP of michigan. I weigh 240 and they are 140 and 180. When riding hard they probably did better than me in mileage. but that was the only time anything was better. Even with the nearly 200 pound total weight difference they only got away from me when I let them. In my opinion ski-doo took the rider forward position too far this year. You feel like your on a bike, not a sled. If that's what your looking for fine, but if your normal riding is long distance hauling arsss trail riding the last thing I would want is the latest doo. If you spend your days off trail, powder, jumps & hills? there's nothing wrong with doos. Just don't plan on blowing away your friends on their Yamahas! If you are thinking about it I would rent one for a day and spend 300 miles on the thing before you commit.

As for some of the issues: these sleds had 666 & 827 miles on them. 1 had the check engine light on occasionally and the other had green tinted icicles hanging from the belly. If you take the leap? wait til 2010 when the bugs are worked out.

I had a friend of mine say the complete opposite. After riding my 1200 Renegade on the trails for about and hour he said he wished he would have test rode one before he bought his new XTX Nytro. The two sleds are very close in performance and fuel economy but the 1200 does have a better ride and you can stretch out more on the Ski-Doo making it a little better for long days.

cutlass7 said:
rxscot said:
My 2 cents...

I had a friend of mine say the complete opposite. After riding my 1200 Renegade on the trails for about and hour he said he wished he would have test rode one before he bought his new XTX Nytro. The two sleds are very close in performance and fuel economy but the 1200 does have a better ride and you can stretch out more on the Ski-Doo making it a little better for long days.

Nytro is a whole different animal. High rider forward position just like the doo. The original poster was thinking about getting out of a 05 RX which is closer to the old rider style, lower and much more sled in front of the rider. What he's considering is a much more drastic change than your situation.

Daranello said:
Yep like BMW!!!

YAM182 said:
Rotax has made 4-stroke motors for a while now.For different companys.

And Aprilia motorcycles for quite a long time, longer than Yamaha has made 4 strokes for sleds by at least a decade . Now they make the new motor for the Buell 1125r and 1125CR vtwins , the first liquid cooled Buells available

Rotax has the 4 stroke thing down without question.

There is no question about yamaha's engine reliability...there is no comparison. My attak gt was run hard everytime I rode and it never once hicupped. It now has a stage 2 MPI on it and it is still running strong.
I did buy a new ski doo 1200 this year and have 1100 hard miles on it this year and it has been awesome in the trails. If someone asked me right now should they buy the ski doo, I would definately say yes. It does not have anywhere near the top end of the apex, but the bottom end and mid range is there and the rough trail ride is awesome. I like both the yamaha and the skidoo. Just giving some real world experience from someone who rides both.

Blown up,

Good call, I stepped out of the box this year and bought a Dragon 800, while in the shop getting a heart transplant(After 3000miles it grenaded) I had the opportunity to test ride an 09 Nytro and an XR1200 for about 5 hours of hard riding. Road both swapping back and forth, very different animals for sure. The Nytro would take it out of the hole by 2-3 lengths then the 1200 would scream by at 50mph and continue to pull(we switched riders and raced multiple times - same result each time XR unstudded/Nytro 144 up the middle). The amazing thing was that if you did not race the 2 side by side you would never know how fast the 1200 was because of its deceptively smooth power delivery. The Nytro simply did not hold a candle in the handling department in dealer to customer form (I'm sure with some work the Nytro would improve some), the XR even out handles the XP hands down(I had an XP800R and put nearly 6000miles on it last season, hard on oil and belts but other than that it was an excellent sled). The XR is ELECTRIC smooth...truthfully guys, if you get the chance try it, ya don't have to buy it or like it but try it. The reliability point is valid, however, everything needs to be taken into consideration. I bent 3 - tunnels, multiple times it wouldn't start on cold days (I still have a spare relay in my glove box), hand warmers didn't work etc. I could easily make a case that Yamaha was unreliable, are they? Absolutely not, each mftr has strength's & weekness's and when we make a purchasing decision all these things require attention. Unless you've tried different models or brands you really don't have a true pespective, if I had of only listened to the guys on this site or from a magasine and what they said about the Nytro I would have bought it without trying the XR, after riding both it was a simple decision (I was 80% Nytro and 20% XR before riding both). My 2 cents.

Dano, good talking with you at Butler Lake & the N. Adventure a few weeks back.
Best, Slednut

horkn said:
Daranello said:
Yep like BMW!!!

YAM182 said:
Rotax has made 4-stroke motors for a while now.For different companys.

And Aprilia motorcycles for quite a long time, longer than Yamaha has made 4 strokes for sleds by at least a decade . Now they make the new motor for the Buell 1125r and 1125CR vtwins , the first liquid cooled Buells available

Rotax has the 4 stroke thing down without question.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

I have just under a 1000kms on my new Renegade XP 600 e-tec I use for work. It is very hard to handle at high speed and jittery. It doesn't handle the best on bush trails and I have to respect the sled by driving slow otherwise I would end up in the rhubarb. There are no carbides on the outside of the skis like the older stock Revs. Another add on I need to do.

I am not raving about the sled like the mags do. A friend of mine has a Nytro XTX and it is much better to ride and has the same gas mileage. I wanted that sled for work, but it was too expensive for the taxpayer's dollars.

Now that I have driven it quite a bit, I would not buy one for myself. I much prefer the 4stroker Yamaha.

Back