• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing...09 Nytro xtx

What condition was the bearing in to have enough resistance to cause the collar to spin on the shaft and make a groove? Did you replace the bearing and set screws? Here are Yamaha Canada's bearing and set screw, and in the red box is Yamaha USA bearing and set screw. I prefer Yamaha USA bearing because it has a serviceable seal, and I prefer the Yamaha USA set screw because I suspect it has a better bite. The Canada set screw looks like it has a ball bearing on the end, and the USA has the concave end.View attachment 134170
bumping a 6 year old post, but i wonder if its possible NTN was having these bearings supplied to them by another manufacturer? i just removed one from a nytro that looked just like that one on left, but appears now (from their website) they have the blue nitrile rubber seal with riveted steel cage. The one I removed had a metal seal and plastic cage and did not have NTN markings on it like every other NTN bearing i've ever seen.

plastic cage was factory on inside of tunnel on bearing. most of those got discarded on the 1st time bearing got changed. i know all of mine are missing as they where floating on the shaft when i had to remove bearing for track replacement or to replace bearing.

i have used the oe bearing in both flavours as well as various aftermarket ones. i prefer the ones with rubber seals as i can repack them every season. the ones with the metal seals get replaced every 2 seasons on the big mileage sleds. all the set screws held with no issues.

plastic cage was factory on inside of tunnel on bearing. most of those got discarded on the 1st time bearing got changed. i know all of mine are missing as they where floating on the shaft when i had to remove bearing for track replacement or to replace bearing.

i have used the oe bearing in both flavours as well as various aftermarket ones. i prefer the ones with rubber seals as i can repack them every season. the ones with the metal seals get replaced every 2 seasons on the big mileage sleds. all the set screws held with no issues.
Yes I have that exterior plastic you speak of the cage I was talking about was the cage that retains the balls. It was not like the continuous riveted steel one that covers the balls under the seal. The steel seal said Japan and 205 marked on it. I couldn't get an old nsk rubber seal to fit it so I just replaced it. The one I ordered from Amazon is ntn and is supposed to have rubber blue seal.... I really don't know what kind of bearing it is but it was worrying me. When I got it out it was gritty and had a couple spots that were grabbing. I did a Jack'shaft on phazer this year but never did a driveshaft.... I do grease them annually. Easier than I thought I might be doing all 4 sleds....

i got 11000 mi on the factory installed speedo bearing re using the stock seal before the inner race was cut in 1/2 from wear on my 11 apex xtx.

i mark all the sleds on the foot well when i replace the speedo bearing with the year so i do not have to remeber when i put it in. with the metal seals i replace every 2nd season on the sleds that get close to 4000 km a year.

For $30, a half hour of my time, and piece of mind knowing the bearing won’t seize itself to the driveshaft I replace this bearing every year regardless of miles put on the year before.

Back