• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine weight and 01 or 02 machines?

Moseus

Hello all, I have been reading with great interest about the Rx-1 for two reasons. I plan for it to be my next machine and I am also planning on using a Rx-1 engine to power a small plane I am planning to build next winter. I would rather have something out front than a noisy gas hog two stroke with diminished range.
:4STroke:

I have been looking with diligence to locate the weight of an Rx-1 motor to power the plane. The responses at dealers were, um about 135lbs or 200lbs. Too wide of a gap to plan for a plane. Yamaha is mum, no response to email and it is info they don't have or can't get at customer service.
:o|

If any of you have weighed your motor stock or close to stock I would greatly appreciate know the weight! If you remember what was on it, when it was weighed, please advise, Starter carbs exhaust etc.

The second question might not be only for the engine guys. It seems I can get an 01 sled for about 4-5g. Is this a good price? I would like to do some soft stuff, any suggestions on ski's to keep it from nose diving?

Thanks Raymond.

PS. No plans to butcher a good unit, will be looking for unit which might have totalled in some way, help someone out.
:yam: :rocks:

I had my motor out and in by myself. No carbs or fluids. I didn't weigh it but I would say 110 to 125 is the range,
The first model year was 2003 for the RX-1 and 5000 would be a fair price.

Thanks WildBill :Rockon: :Rockon: and Buckeye, what a great estimation without weighing :shock: :D

By comparison, a 4 stroke plane engine with a max short term output of 120 hp turning a prop around 3000 rpm woud weigh about 180 lbs.

This seriously rocks :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon:
I have much to do, but with 68 lbs of opportunity, it shoudd turn out with more useful load!!! Every pound counts in the air.

Thanks! Raymond.

I was misinformed on the year. Ooops.

Moseus, I am also very interested in aviation and have wondered what an R-1 motor would be like in a small plane for over a year now. I was considering putting one in a Zenith CH701 on skiis. 120' departures on grass at 25mph! 8) I think the 998cc engine would be great for this application but how would you reduce the crankshaft speed down to a good propellor speed of about 2400-3000 RPM? You would need a good radiator to keep it cool. Just curious because I may still build a CH701 someday. What type of plane are you considering dropping that engine in to? I have my engine in pieces currently and will weight it exactly for you. I'll get you the weight bare and then with carbs and exhaust later. I'll try to get it done tonight.

Back