• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Extension on VL - Updated; Wrap & Shield Pics

Mooseman said:
I guess that will be good to use as a cheap experiment. If the tunnel icing decreases, then you can invest more on something stainless like the attached pic with stainless tubing.

Any luck with snow in your neck of the woods? We had a big melt with lots of rain so the little snow we had is almost all gone :"(

Too bad about your snow loss. No, still no snow where I live - very strange winter for us. But there is snow ~ 1-2 hours away so I'll have to trailer somewhere now. I'm spending my spare time skating on a pond - so at least I can partake in one winter activity :)
what with the catalitic converter.
marpolsdofer,
Not sure what you mean there? Please explain - thanks,

Bugbear said:
Just a heads up to anyone who is comtemplating using a flex joint like Mooseman's photo above. The flex is very very limited in it. Since Bomba routed his tubing out the center instead of straight back he won't be able to make the required S bend with it alone when and if he reconfigures his exhaust with one. Here in Anchorage they are about $80 USD.
So, that flex joint is like the one you have on yours in your post? What is the purpose of that flex joint? Thanks,

The photo above looks the same, about 8 inches long. The purpose in my installation was to give the necessary straight upturn flex for the tubing to exit the rear steel bulkhead. Wasn't much flex left after that slight upturn.

Bugbear said:
Just a heads up to anyone who is comtemplating using a flex joint like Mooseman's photo above. The flex is very very limited in it. Since Bomba routed his tubing out the center instead of straight back he won't be able to make the required S bend with it alone when and if he reconfigures his exhaust with one. Here in Anchorage they are about $80 USD.

Good to know about those joints. Depending on the results Bomba gets with the existing cheap flex pipe, the permanent option would be to get a pipe bent to the required S shape. Or, just "cheat" with a straight pipe to the plate at an angle and weld the exhaust tip to it.

However, it's always good to have some flex in the exhaust system. A rigid system is prone to cracking due to the flex and vibration inherent in what it's attached to. That tunnel structure flexes.

Bugbear said:
However, it's always good to have some flex in the exhaust system. A rigid system is prone to cracking due to the flex and vibration inherent in what it's attached to. That tunnel structure flexes.

That's a good point. Actually, there is not a whole lot of flexing/turning needed to get it at center so there may be something good on the market that can do the job.

I had my first ride today and it was a chance to test the exhaust extension. The conditions were low snow, warmer than -10C.

Result: Failure/disappointment. I may even have achieved more snow ice build-up than with the stock set up. The only thing achieved besides a cool looking SS tip is that I have outdone Yamaha in poor exhaust design, so in that sense it was an accomplishment (I have to try hard to maintain a sense of humour -ahah). Oh yes, and now I can tell others that this does not work. I'll post pics later when I have more time - sorry. Well, I guess nothing ventured, nothing gained. Really though I didn't expect the exhaust pipe add on to be a complete success but did expect some improvement over the original setup.

Now I'll have to start thinking about phase two to include a plate to cover some of the problem area and possibly some wrap. When and how, I don't know - this engineering stuff is difficult

Attachments

• IMG_0333 (rsz).JPG
    IMG_0333 (rsz).JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0335 (rsz).JPG
    IMG_0335 (rsz).JPG
    15 KB · Views: 255
Hey Bomba, I would follow bugbear's approach to the issue. I think you removed the plastic part in the tunnel, right? That may have created a cavity to hold snow. I left my plastic in place and just releaved it to make room for the pipe which might be contributing to the somewhat success of my system. I really think bugbear is on the right track.

I have read in other posts that it's not so much the hot exhaust gases causing icing but the snow hitting the hot muffler and exhaust pipe and instantly getting vaporized and then re-freezing. That's why a lot of ppl are using header wrap to try and separate the heat from the snow. Only problem is that the wrap disintegrates. Then there are others that close off the tunnel (Non-Ventures) but wind up with heat issues.

Here's a thread about the muffler temps.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
There's also a post in that thread that talks about another type of enclosure. Although I think I have an idea about what he's talking about, I asked that he post a pic of the setup. I'll PM him asking for a pic.

karl said:
Hey Bomba, I would follow bugbear's approach to the issue. I think you removed the plastic part in the tunnel, right? That may have created a cavity to hold snow. I left my plastic in place and just releaved it to make room for the pipe which might be contributing to the somewhat success of my system. I really think bugbear is on the right track.

That is true, I have to at least cover that flex pipe area and reduce the surfaces for the snow to stick to. But, I would see issues with snow clogging in there if it is left open at the front especially when getting her down in deep snow. I just wanted to try this step first to see if there's any improvement.

BTW, I didn't mention earlier but I had also applied furniture polish spray to the area as someone suggested on the Nytro forum - no improvement unless it helped in the snow/ice removal. I didn't even get the nice lemony scent that i was expecting - eheh!

Mooseman said:
I have read in other posts that it's not so much the hot exhaust gases causing icing but the snow hitting the hot muffler and exhaust pipe and instantly getting vaporized and then re-freezing. That's why a lot of ppl are using header wrap to try and separate the heat from the snow. Only problem is that the wrap disintegrates. Then there are others that close off the tunnel (Non-Ventures) but wind up with heat issues.

Here's a thread about the muffler temps.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
There's also a post in that thread that talks about another type of enclosure. Although I think I have an idea about what he's talking about, I asked that he post a pic of the setup. I'll PM him asking for a pic.

Yeah, no doubt it has a lot to do with the heat in the system itself since the Nytros still get extrem icing with the muffler underneath and the exit above the tunnel. But when I run it with the extension and feel all the heat and airflow exiting the rear instead of underneath - I thought for sure this has to be better but like Karl said removing the plastic deflector probably caused an issue in my design.

As for the snow vaporizing theory, I don't fully agree with that. What happens to mine, and always has, is that first the snow sticks to the tunnel and then after awhile it turns to solid ice. No doubt the vapors coming off the muffler aids that process. But it is not instant ice build-up as the vaporizing theory suggests. The build-up is also dependent on the outside temps and that is why guys in Alaska, Yukon, etc are having more issues with this than riders in warmer areas. This is a warm weather machine I.

Mooseman said:

Unfortunately, the guy that did the enclosure sold his sled 4 days ago so no pic. I believe what he did was just box in the muffler with a sheet of aluminum but leaving each end open for air circulation but doesn't allow snow to directly contact the muffler and exhaust pipe. Even though there is no actual insulation material, the moving air acts as an insulator so the sheet doesn't get super hot like the muffler. Together with the rear exiting exhaust might eliminate the icing.

Even though I'm not in a really cold area, I had a good amount of heavy slush sticking in the tunnel and if I didn't knock it out with my rubber mallet, would freeze and rub on the track. As it got thicker, the underlying layer would freeze.

So was that a VL you are talking about the guy had the shield on? BTW, you are new to the VL aren't you? Wondering if you ever viewed the thread on "Ice Boogers"? Thanks for your help and interest in my project.

Back