• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

four stroke engine

I don't think so......................... They do if they get hot..................Some guys have blown the engine after an oil change because they left the old oil filter gasket on and the oil came out. MM.

I have seen an oil pressure shutdown code on an apex. When I asked the customer about it he told me he rolled it and it did indeed shutdown when it was tipped over. He is still riding the sled with with no problems.

Now, after having said that it has been my experience that most electronic oil pressure systems in automotive tend to do their job too late and there is usually some dammage done. So personally I think the system is obviously there and seems to work on an apex but I wouldn't bet on it saving the motor everytime and in every case.

srxtwins said:
I have seen an oil pressure shutdown code on an apex. When I asked the customer about it he told me he rolled it and it did indeed shutdown when it was tipped over. He is still riding the sled with with no problems.quote]
It was not an Apex, It was on an Attak! ;):D
And It wasen't really a rollover, It was more of a flop over. :o|
I'm just glad Matt & Dave didn't have there cameras out. :tg:

srxtwins said:
Now, after having said that it has been my experience that most electronic oil pressure systems in automotive tend to do their job too late and there is usually some dammage done. So personally I think the system is obviously there and seems to work on an apex but I wouldn't bet on it saving the motor everytime and in every case.
I work for a company that makes generators and our engine has a low-oil shutdown where that if it senses oil pressure loss for more than 8 seconds it shuts down.
We've had instances where people on the line have forgotten to put oil in or where the oilpump isnt working properly and Im yet to see an engine fail because of this.
Not that I am saying that no damage is done, but the low oil shutdown is put in place to prevent engine damage.

If the apex senses low oil pressure it shuts off. I experienced it after installing a motor and I couldn't get the oil system to bleed. It would fire then shut off...once the oil system bled it started as normal. Now, I agree that it's probably too late if you're at anything but an idle. At 10k it would have to have a crystal ball lol.

This function is not on the carbed sleds!

my nytro has been rolled over many times...and will shut off on its own but i always shut it down first if i can at all reach the kill switch.

I removed my air box to drain carbs (old fuel). Did a oil change,changed battery and plugs also. There are two hoses that go to oil tank from the air box. I must have not connected the lower hose because about two miles from home the warning light came on. I stopped and saw it leaking out and drove home slowly. I drained crankcase and it only had 1/2 qt. left. After removing air box and battery and brackets, I cleaned everything up and reassembled and refilled oil tank. It runs fine and did not leak any more oil so maybe I got real lucky. I hope no damage was done, I guess time will tell.

Those of you who don't have it, could you please update your site profiles to include your locations, per site rules?
Thank you
TY Management

To my understanding the Apex/Attak/Apex LTX whatever, basically any of the F.I. motors. Have a oil level and pressure sensor. The engine will display a light and code if the oil level is low, this low equates to a little more than 1 quart less than full. This light will come on at any RPM/Speed. The oil pressure sensor will only give a code and will not shut down the engine above idle speed, not sure exactly what RPM but I know there was a post about this before and it was determined that the sled would NOT shut down at speed, just give a trouble light. At idle however the motor would shutdown. The theory (at least mine) is that it would be more dangerous to have the sled suddenly shutdown while bombing down a trail (especially at night). Than to give the error light and leave it to the operator to determine the next step.

Back