• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FRUSTRATED with Yamaha... Chaincase Blown at 400 miles

RollinTurbo

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha SideWinder B-TX
I'm posting in trail section for more views...

I have a 2018 Yamaha Sidewinder BTX, 433 miles! Not even to it's first service

Yesterday after driving 300 miles to ride Northern Maine I experienced a chaincase blow up... the machine hasn't even made the first service!! I would like to know if and how many people have experienced Chain case issues! I stopped at 3 dealers on the way home tryin to get a repair and 2/3 said they were working on sidewinders with blown chaincases!

My story goes like this....

We traveled very far to ride... we all checked sleds over well as they were all new machines... oil was full on my machine, and half way up sight Glass for chaincase... we did 140 miles of fast trail riding on the way home after entering a large field I did a hard pull till about 90-100mph. The engine redlines... thought I blew a belt but everything was Perfect... went to move again and the clothes worked fine but the machine let out a nasty growl... checked chaincase and found the sight glass was missing and all oil had drained out...

The 2 dealers that said they were working similar cases said it was their opinion that the tensioners are backing out And falling out of the hole... the oil then gets pumped out the new hole.... then the pieces start flying and knock out the glass! (Seems Yamaha could easily prevent this by installing hardware to tensioner bolt that would make it impossible to fall out of hole

I have 700 miles on my trip of driving, motels costs, a hard night at the bar, and the trauma of being towed back to civilization by a POLARIS! AND RUINING THE TRIP FORTHE WHOLE GROUP, I feel like YAMAHA should be doing something to make this right or I will never buy another YAMAHA!

Attachments

• IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 210

That sucks. Hopefully Yamaha in the states has new chaincase parts available for you. A few guys here in Canada had chaincase problems, and new cases are backordered til the end of Feb.

I don't recall hearing of any chaincases failing last year. Is it 18 model years having issues only?

Haha never mind a couple threads down is a 17 with chaincase issues.

Not that it will make things much better but the Yamaha warranty does cover up to 250 in expenses such as tow bill, motel bill and so on. Plus 250 a day I believe in rental fee. Personally I would have rented a machine and not ruined the weekend.

if they are backordered they can take one off a showroom sled... I buy a sled every two years... I hope Yamaha takes the opportunity to make this right

He reimbursements are only if you have the YES extended service program...

I was never offered this... and don't have it... I just confirmed the above statement with owners manual

if they are backordered they can take one off a showroom sled... I buy a sled every two years... I hope Yamaha takes the opportunity to make this right
They won't mines been in the shop since Jan 9th waiting on chaincase parts... Yamaha customer service line is a joke.. Don't call and frustrate yourself further

I noticed last night Oil drops on floor below Chain case at 140 miles on a 2018 LTX LE. Will investigate tonight.

Not that it will make things much better but the Yamaha warranty does cover up to 250 in expenses such as tow bill, motel bill and so on. Plus 250 a day I believe in rental fee. Personally I would have rented a machine and not ruined the weekend.

Where did you see this? My warranty in Canada states specifically that we are not covered for loss of riding time, inconvenience, getting the sled to the dealer, etc.
Thanks

Where did you see this? My warranty in Canada states specifically that we are not covered for loss of riding time, inconvenience, getting the sled to the dealer, etc.
Thanks

Go to owners manual and flip to the last pages... there is a warranty explanation and also information about THE YES program

I just got back from northern Maine and the guy that owns the motel where i stay was headed out Wed afternoon to get someone staying there with a SW with chain case issues also .I'll be checking mine over when i get stuff unloaded .Sucks this year for sure with the lack of extra parts as i just went thru it after one of my buddies crashed on my 17 doo .Iwas lucky to track parts down though .Stay safe .

Stock or boosted?

I know not everyone can do this but I always bring a spare sled for the group. Too much work goes into these trips for me to jump on a rented 550 fan not to mention if any is available or the PITA it is renting.

I'm also not a fan of backpack trips where I don't return to my starting point each night. Keeps me within reasonable distance. Even if I break down 2-3 hours from the trailer I can usually find a local that will drive me to my truck for some cash so I can return with the trailer. My buds can keep riding for the day that way and me or whomever broke down jumps on the spare.

Back